Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Image Backup A Dual Boot Configuration For Independent OS/Partition Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

Back for more, and thanks in advance for any useful advice. I appreciate it. I've just finished configuring a dual boot Windows 7 (native OS)/XP Professional setup on my HP Pavilion dv4 2040us, and now that I've tweaked both OS's to my taste I'm wanting to do image backups of everything in the event of a catastrophic failure. Paranoia is good. Anyway, my questions: I know that Win 7 has a "System" partition that I must image WITH the Win 7 partition in order to recover, but I don't know if the XP partition is standalone or, because of the dual boot setup, it needs files from either the System partition or the Win 7 partition in order to boot properly. More lucidly: I would like the ability to reinstall either partition INDEPENDENTLY of the other, in case it's not a hard drive issue but instead an issue with that particular OS/partition that's pushing me to reinstall, but I'm not sure what all I need to image to gain this independence. Basically, I don't want to image the entire hard drive as one because if I'm only having trouble with one partition then I'd have to reinstall both to correct this. :huh: . Please, does anybody know the proper way to (combine) image(s) so that I can reinstall either partition/OS independently? Ahhh, I'm using Macrium Reflect Free Edition for the imaging, if it matters. Thank you for your patience, and thanks again for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users