Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - Windows Installer problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 billder99

billder99

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hi All,

This is the 2nd time I have posted this problem on Bleepingcomputer (and nowhere else, per Administrator FAQ), still not resolved. I will happily pay someone if they can resolve this problem.

Background: A week ago due to an apparent virus (very bad, grew and grew until it stopped my system completely) I finally ran a complete System Restore on my Lenovo 3000 N200 using the Lenovo Care restore function. Now there is a problem with Windows Installer, it runs continuously and slows my computer WAY down. Here is a list of the actions I have taken (after reading through Bleepingcomputer forum and other forums):

1. Windows Installer – Runs every time I start any application, or any browser, or open a new webpage from within any browser… very, very slow, but I can finally shut it down… pop-up installer window says “Windows Installer, Preparing to Install…”. /// Actions I have taken:
a. Downloaded and installed most current version of Windows Installer from MS, v4.5 (for XP with SP2&3), reboot… no change
b. Went to AdminTools/Services/Windows Installer, dbl click and “STOP” process… no change
c. Downloaded and ran “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility”… no change
d. Ran “CC Cleaner”… no change

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that might shed some light on the problem.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

I would take a look at 4, 5, and 11 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175. Note that Manual should be the setting, not Disabled for the service.

I would also take a look at various links reflecting this problem at Google Search.

There doesn't appear to be a standard answer for all of these situations.

Louis

#4 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Budapest & hamluis,

Thanks very much for your consideration of my problem. First, here is everything I can extract from Event Viewer that seems as thought it may be pertinent:

In “Event Viewer/Application”..
• Information: Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}. Client Process Id: 3996.
• Information: Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 -- Installation failed.
• Information: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003. Product Version: 11.0.5614.0. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1635.
• Information: Ending a Windows Installer transaction: {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}. Client Process Id: 3996.
• Warning: Detection of product '{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'ProductFiles', component '{57DD72A4-89B5-432E-99AA-66C0A638D5C0}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\MSE10.XML' does not exist.
• Warning: Detection of product '{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'HandWritingFiles' failed during request for component '{E6BFD503-3A35-4B78-BAB5-9570EDDEF81C}'

In “Event Viewer/System”..
• Information/Service Control Manager: The SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service was successfully sent a stop control.
• Information/Service Control Manager: The SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service entered the stopped state.
• Information/Service Control Manager: The Windows Installer service was successfully sent a start control.
• Information/Service Control Manager: The Windows Installer service entered the running state.
• Information/Service Control Manager: The Windows Installer service entered the stopped state.

In “Lenovo Message Center Plus/Admin” (NOTE: These ERROR messages seem to run every time I re-boot)
• Error: Unable to retrieve machine model -> Exception message: For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
• Error: Retrieved null machine type model For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hi hamluis,

Holy moly, the link you provided is a gold mine ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175 )... this will take some effort to dig thru. I will do my best to figure out each part on my own... stay tuned... I am a cyber-retard and may need assistance.

NOTE: I have been searching like mad using GOOGLE, reading every forum entry I can find in regard to Windows Installer. On my own, I never came across the link you provided. One thing I did see... one person recommended un-installing and then re-installing Office 2007. That sounds difficult. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks very much, BD

#7 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi Budapest,

Funny, perhaps that was your post I saw somewhere else (can't remember where I saw it)... your suggestion specifies Office 2003, but I am using Office 2007... does the same advice apply? Un-installe and Re-install?

BD

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

The reason I suggested uninstalling Office 2003 is because of the Event Viewer error you posted:

Information: Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 -- Installation failed.

If you look in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel do you see any Office 2003 entries?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hola Budapest,

OK, yes, MS Office 2003 is still installed though we are using v2007. I have kept it because I was not sure if it was needed by v2007 for the purpose of formatting files to v2003 (many people do not have 2007, and cannot read the files, so we always "Save As" Excell 95-2003, Word 95-2003, etc). I will remove and report the results.

BD

#10 billder99

billder99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to remove MS Office Pro Edition 2003, and I cannot get it off my system. I get this error message: "This patch package could not be opened. Verify the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

I have been searching trying to understand this, but I cannot make heads or tails of how to "verify a patch package exists", and calling MS seems to be a waste of time. Do you have a contact number where I can reach a real life MS tech? Or do you have an idea of what to do with this bugaboo?

BD

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Office 2007 should have removed Office 2003. You cannot keep 2 versions of Office on the same computer. Office 2007 contains backwards compatibility for Office 2003 documents.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/...1401771033.aspx Try that.

Edited by cryptodan, 17 February 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

FWIW: I've had two different versions of MS Office...installed at the same time.

With no problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users