Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe To Use fixmbr in Recovery Console?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RayS

RayS

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

To all,

Attempting to recover from BSOD on Dell4500 running WinXP Pro SP3. After Dell splash screen, I see "Boot error: -B00".

Using "Mini WinXP" from Hirin's Boot CD, I can confirm that my data is intact and some of my software will launch and run normally.

Long ago, I had created a second partition on that PC using System Commander. Online forum suggests running fixmbr from Recovery Console, but I fear that may destroy data on the main hard disk. I have been unable to establish connection between the affected PC and my main PC, therefore, I have not been able to back up my data (aprox 100gigs). My question: is it safe to run fixmbr from Recovery Console or is there danger of losing or corrupting data when I do so?

Note: This is my first posting here. In future, how can I search for all threads I start or post to? IOW, do these forums have anything like a "Sent" folder?

Many thanks,

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Note: This is my first posting here. In future, how can I search for all threads I start or post to? IOW, do these forums have anything like a "Sent" folder?

Click on My Controls at the top right of the screen
On the left side of the new screen, when you start to scroll down you will see a section

Subscriptions

. View Topics
. View Forums
. Unanswered Topics (30 days)
. Participating Topics (7 Days)
. Participating Topics (30 Days)
. Participating Topics (All)
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

On the left side of the new screen, when you start to scroll down you will see a section

Subscriptions

. View Topics
. View Forums

Hi garmanma,

Thanks for the quick reply.

To All,

I'm still fearful of using fixmbr without being able to back up my data first. Does anyone have experience with repairs to the Master Boot Record from within Recovery Console?

Thanks for the help,

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Are you able to copy the data using "Mini WinXP" and a pen drive or external USB drive?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Subscriptions

. View Topics
. View Forums

Just to add you can also use the "My Topics" link at the top too.

#6 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Are you able to copy the data using "Mini WinXP" and a pen drive or external USB drive?

Hi Budapest and all,

Yes, I am able to read and write to/from a pen drive using Mini WinXP. I have a Western Digital 500gig SATA drive inside a Thermaltake external enclosure which would easily hold a complete backup, but the enclosure may be malfunctioning. It is not being recognized on the problem machine nor on my main PC. I am using the USB receptacle in both cases. I need to back up about 100 gigs of data. That's just too much to do using a thumb drive.

Over the years, three external drives from three separate manufacturers have all died after only a few months of use. The environment here is benign. None of the drives were running hot. The latest one has an aluminum case and an internal fan. Maybe I should start a new thread, but if anyone is confident about the reliability of a particular make/model external enclosure, I would sure like to know which one it is.

So I have two questions pending now:

1. How much risk do I take if I try to use fixMBR or fixBoot from the Hirin's bootable utility disk?

2. Can you recommend a reliable 3.5-inch external enclosure -- preferably one that will accept input/output via both eSATA and USB cables?

Thanks for the advice.

RayS

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

Can you recommend a reliable 3.5-inch external enclosure -- preferably one that will accept input/output via both eSATA and USB cables?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817707180
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

See the "pinned" post at the beginning of this forum:

XP boot "fixes"

#9 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

See the "pinned" post at the beginning of this forum:

XP boot "fixes"

To mrob and All,

This will answer my original question: What's the risk to my data in running fixmbr from Recovery Console?

I backed up all my data on a 64gig flash drive which I purchased specifically for this purpose. Then I ran "chkdsk /p/r" three times. It found errors the first two times but none on the third run. I then ran fixmbr. In this instance, fixmbr did not appear to damage any of my data.

I am still not booting normally into windows, and I am following one of the XP boot "fixes" in a pinned message. I'll start a new thread with the (new) error message I'm getting now.

Thanks for the help.

RayS

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

FWIW: Asking questions like..."How much risk is this operation?"...is kind of like asking "Will I be hit by a car today?"

Anything that is done on a computer system (or anything else) always has some risk, due to the number of variables...no one can quantify such.

But, IMO...if a user is running a Microsoft operating system which is troubled...I tend to think that possible cures developed by Microsoft should be accepted in the same manner as existed when the O/S was installed. It's not often (if ever) that an O/S developer will come up with tools to attempt repair of its product...that are "risky" any more than anything else.

FWIW: The chkdsk /r command is the only command that a user has to run in situations calling for such. It is the most complete command and includes the services performed by a chkdsk /p or chkdsk /f command.

Louis

#11 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Hi Louis,

Thank you for the lesson in philosophy.

It turns out that in my case there was no risk in using fixmbr and fixboot in Recovery Console. All my data had been backed up onto a second PC (which should have been done anyway), but no data was harmed by fixmbr or fixboot.

RayS

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

That's good news. :thumbsup:

Generally I think fixmbr and fixboot are safe to use but I'm sure they are not 100% safe - so it is very hard to quantify the risks involved.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users