Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start my computer in any mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JStygar

JStygar

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

I am running windows xp. Lastnight I got a message from Norton to restart my computer. When I returned to it this morning it would not completly restart. I get a blue screen with the www.dell.com logo on it then it takes me to another screen asking me if I want to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, or start windows normally. I can select any one of them, but nothing happens. I am taken back to the blue screen with the www.dell.com logo and the process is repeated all over again. I don't know what else to do. Please help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi JStygar,

If you press F8 while the computer is booting up it will take you to a screen where you can select how you wish to boot into Windows. Towards the boot of this list will be an option to disable automatic restart. This will leave the blue screen on the screen so you can see the error message. Could you please post that here as it will assist in diagnosing your problem.

#3 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

The error message is as follow:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first timje you've seen this stop error sreen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/ F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A7A528,0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I noticed that it says to run a CHKDSK /F check and I do not know how to do that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

To run a chkdsk /r, you need access to the XP Recovery Console. The chkdsk /r commands includes the chkdsk /f functions.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A7A528,0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This is what the STOP Code means: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

#6 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Having trouble using the CD. My CD/DVD drive is not working. Is there any way I can prompt it to work if I can't boot up?

#7 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

I didn't know I was suppose to change the boot option to start-up with the cd/dvd drive instead of the hard drive. So far it is working.

#8 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

After I run the chkdsk what do I do?

#9 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

The chkdsk will scan for any Windows files that are missing or corrupted and replace them with originals from the CD. Once the chkdsk is complete just start the system normally and see what happens. If it does not boot properly check safe mode.

#10 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

I ran the disk again today, but it did a setup of windows xp. I didn't lose anything, but I can't correct my resolution. I am getting an error message "The procedure entry point_ftol2 could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll." could that have some thing to do with it, and how do I fix that error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users