Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick question about rkill

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Under the virus-removal section, the instructions usually have you download and install rkill, before running Malwarebytes.

Wouldn't doing this in safe-mode achieve the same effect?

It seems like it has worked better for me doing it in safe mode. (I've done it the rkill way without success)

Just want to get some expert opinions...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flaskmaster

flaskmaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

I'm no expert, but I used rkill when I had that malware infection under Safe Mode, and it worked just fine.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

I was just inquiring if running Malwarebytes under safe-mode, would be just as good as running it while using rkill.

I have had better luck catching and deleting the bugs in safe-mode than while running rkill.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Rkill only does a set number of actions to help stop the tricks that malware employs to avoid being removed and so it won't always work with every infection.

MBAM is better run while in normal mode but if it won't run it can be, as a second option, run in safe mode. It works more smoothly because the files are stopped from loading which makes it seem a better option but it isn't.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 sidd0123

sidd0123

• Banned
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

when you click on the forum that says am i infected. at the very top, there is a thread that addresses this issue with malwarebytes in detail. I suggest you visit it if you still need help. here is the link

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267354/for-those-having-trouble-running-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

when you click on the forum that says am i infected. at the very top, there is a thread that addresses this issue with malwarebytes in detail. I suggest you visit it if you still need help. here is the link

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267354/for-those-having-trouble-running-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Thanks for the link, I have done all the renaming and so forth in the past, but still seems like MBAM runs fine in safe-mode, I did run new scans in normal mode after, but will follow the advice to uninstall, and then reinstall after running in safe-mode.

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

Ok... read on thru the link and this was what I was looking for! Well versed and makes sense. :thumbsup:

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally and try rescanning again.

Answered my question!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users