Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Went from XP to Vista Audio doesnt work now

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luckyjoe

luckyjoe

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hey guys...

I reformatted my friends laptop (Latitude D610) from XP into Vista. The XP cd i had was only a recovery, the Win7 was 64 bit, and she didn't want linux so I had no other choice. The installation went smoothly and everything seems to be working except for sound. I tried to let the windows automatically search for driver software updates, but windows is retarded and cannot find it. I go to device manager and I see that the Multimedia Audio Controller has the yellow exclamation and hasn't been properly installed.

I also tried to use the old sound driver (Sigmatel Stac 975x ac97 driver) and it says unzipped successfully, but it doesn't go into the installation screen. I then tried to install a newer version the 9750 ac97 and again it unzipped successfully, the installation screen comes up, but then i get an error saying device object not present, restart the system and run setup again. So I'm pretty much out of ideas now and I know that reverting back to XP would solve everything, but I can't find anyone who has an xp cd. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi luckyjoe,

It is possible that the folder that you have extracted the zip file to contains the driver file required for the sound hardware, it would be a .inf file. I suggest that you go into Device Manager and from the right-click menu of the Multimedia Audio Controller select update driver.

When prompted chose not to check windows update and then install from a specific location and point it towards the folder with the extracted zip. If the raw driver file is there that that will find it.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

Dell computers are very picky regarding drivers.
Go to Dell site enter your computer service tag number and see, if they have Vista compatible audio driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

Broni Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM
Dell computers are very picky regarding drivers.
Go to Dell site enter your computer service tag number and see, if they have Vista compatible audio driver.

I looked at the site and for the windows version it only has up to windows xp. I already knew that it wouldn't which is why I was hoping I could just try and download the software on my own.

Grommers Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM
Hi luckyjoe,

It is possible that the folder that you have extracted the zip file to contains the driver file required for the sound hardware, it would be a .inf file. I suggest that you go into Device Manager and from the right-click menu of the Multimedia Audio Controller select update driver.

When prompted chose not to check windows update and then install from a specific location and point it towards the folder with the extracted zip. If the raw driver file is there that that will find it.

Ah I didn't think about that... I will try it and update you guys tomorrow if it worked or not. thanks for the input guys.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

We can also try to find out what motherboard you have and see, if we can find audio drivers that way.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Thanks guys for the help... Grommers idea of installing from the unzipped location worked. What I don't get is if it unzipped correctly... why didn't it install the driver?

#7 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Not sure why it didn't work with the installer, possibly that only works for Windows XP?? Glad you have managed to sort it though.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Nice :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users