Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consistent Rebooting Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flaskmaster

flaskmaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi, I have been a moocher of this site on several occasions, due to previous issues, but finally at my wit's end on this one.

I have a homemade PC, cobbled together from parts of other PC's I've scrounged over the years. Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been infected with that "Internet Security 2010" malware that was floating around, and I was able to get rid of it using MalwareBytes and this site.

2 days ago however, I noticed that my FireFox was crashing randomly. So I grabbed AVG free again to see if there were any issues, updated and did a full scan. All the while AVG was popping up a window saying that winlogon.exe was infected, and it reported it as such when the scan completed. It either quarantined it, or deleted what else was there (only a few minor things besides winlogon.) After that I rebooted, and it's been doing the same thing ever since.

I'll get the POST screen, the Windows XP Pro splash screen where it would run it's course. The splash would run for about a minute, go blank, and my computer would reboot. I cannot find my XP cd, but I thought a repair would fix it, so I borrowed a friend's burned "copy." I was able to run the windows setup, however I see no option to run the Repair or Recovery (whichever it is.)

Will the repair Iso offered in the pinned thread help me with this? Sorry for asking, I'm at work and this is my only other internet access at this point.

EDIT: Oh, and it does the same thing when trying to load both Safe Mode and Safe Mode /w Networking. And I don't see a "Last Good Config" option.

Edited by flaskmaster, 16 February 2010 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welkprodmgr

welkprodmgr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

I think the same thing happened to me, with AVG etc.. I borrowed anXP cd, and i can get into the Recovery Console, but I'm no sure what to do from there.HELP ANYONE????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users