Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet 3055 won't initialize

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RiverMiss

RiverMiss

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

I wanted to send a fax when my HP Laserjet 3055 did not respond. I turned it off and then back on and it goes through it's initialization and stops with Hewlett-Packard and 8 bars. This is not an old printer and it has hardly been used. How disappointing!!! I turned it off and unplugged it for 5 minutes and still the same thing.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am on an HP computer with Vista 64 bit home premium. I did not install any of the HP software for this all-in-one printer because I would have to buy a cd with the software and thought it was a pain on my previous computer.

Thank you.

RiverMiss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the USB cable and powering the unit on?

Have you tried the HP Universal Print Driver for Vista 64Bit?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hi,

I unplugged the USB cable & tried powering it on - no dice. I turned it on and left it for quite a while - just the Hewlett-Packard & than it gets to 8 of these : " >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> ". It fails to finish initializing. What a drag. I have probably only ever printed 500 pages tops with this thing.

I have not had any trouble printing or scanning or anything else in Vista, so the drivers that it was using were sufficient. You need the HP software to access the settings options. It will really not be needed if it never comes back to life again.

I have the USB unplugged and the power unplugged. I can try it again tomorrow. Any other ideas would always be appreciated.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

As the machine is not going to a "READY" state, I would recommend an NVRAM initialization.

NVRAM Init:

NVRAM init returns all stored parameters in NVRAM to factory default values or to a default ROM value,
depending on the variable, and performs a system reset.
Performing NVRAM init can cause the all-in-one to violate local telephone regulations. Reset the
language and country/region after performing an NVRAM init.
An NVRAM init resets the following settings and information:
● All menu settings are reset to factory default values, including the fax header and company name.
● Factory settings such as formatter number, page counts, and paper settings are reset.
● All faxes in memory are erased.
● All speed-dials, group-dials, and phone book entries are erased.
● All localization settings, including language and country/region, are reset.
To perform an NVRAM init
1. Turn off the all-in-one.
2. Press and hold down the * and ( check mark ) buttons.
3. Continue to hold down the buttons while you turn on the all-in-one. Hold the buttons throughout
the entire power-on sequence.
4. When Permanent Storage Init. appears on the control-panel display, release the buttons.
5. Allow the all-in-one to return to Ready before using it.

This should reset the system to Factory Defaults as if you just pulled it out of the box.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Tried that and no luck. It is doing the same thing.

It seems as though it is failing it's POST. Yesterday when it went out to lunch it almost seemed as though it stopped recognizing the keypad - but that could just be because it failed &/or lost it's mind.

Darn, darn. Such an expensive printer. Probably only 500 or less pages printed on the thing. It's duty cycle is ~25000 pages per month. Pathetic!!!!! It has lived on a good, expensive surge strip. Had a good climate controlled life. For what this thing cost this is pathetic!

Thanks for the help. I looked in my printer repair book last night and did not see anything. This was worth a shot. I left it unplugged now for ~ 12 hours so if it was going to reset it should have I would think by now.

Open to any other suggestions if you have them. Will have to get a replacement of some kind later today because I am in the middle of a big project. If I can get this going again I will still use it since it is a laser and I will be buying an inkjet today.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

Approximately how long ago was this purchased?

Is it possible it's still under warranty?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

Not under warranty - bummer - thanks for the thought.

Bought 11-9-2006 for ~$500. Was a $900 printer.

Nothing is made to last anymore!

Thanks,

RiverMiss

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

From what I am gathering from what we've tried with this printer, it sounds most likely to be the Formatter PCA board.

Q7844-60002 Formatter board - Controls the logic and timing operation of the printer, translates the control panel input, and provides control of the scanner assembly - Mounts on the right side of the printer - For LaserJet 3050/3052AIO model only

I've found prices ranging from $159 to $249 for that board. The choice is yours whether or not to fix the machine or to have it looked at by someone locally that is HP certified in Printer Repair.

Good Luck. Hope I was of some help.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi Tech,

Thanks for that information. OMG - Those parts are expensive!!!! That is why no one fixes anything anymore. I bought aN Officejet 6500 wireless yesterday. I traded in an old Lexmark and the end price was $90 + tax. That is looking like a REALLY good deal right now. Yes, it is an inkjet - but between the price of the printer and the price of the part to repair this one - the difference will buy a lot of cartridges. I have an old Laserjet 4 in the back I need to fire up & see if it still works. It did last time I used it. If I want to use a laser I'll use that one. It is on an old printserver. I'm not sure that will show up now that my NT Server is shut down. This should get interesting. Any thoughts.

Thanks

RiverMiss

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

The laserjet 4 is one of the older "WorkHorses" from HP. Parts are available if needed and are quite cheap if it needs anything. ( i.e. pickup rollers, transfer roller, etc. )

The print server, if it is an add-on card in the back of the printer, can be reconfigured quite easily. You should have no problems with it unless it has died or the network jack has broken. In my experience, that didn't happen too much but it's not unheard of.

I'm happy to hear you got something working as far as a fax machine and yes, I agree, the parts are on the expensive side.

If you wish to reconfigure your print server on your Laserjet 4, let me know and I can give you some instructions for it.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi Tech,

The printer Server is a separate HP and it shows up on the network. If shows up fine on my MAC also. But I can't seem to add the LaserJet 4 in Vista that is attached to it. I have tried on a few computers.

Thanks,

RiverMiss

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi RiverMiss,

You need to install a Standard TCP/IP port in the Printers control panel. If you've never done this before I can also suggest another way to install it.

HP has a piece of software called the Network Printer Installation Wizard that is available here. When you get to the page, click on the operating system you are wanting to add this printer to and download the "install network printer wizard" to your desktop.

Double click on the program and it will walk you through the installation then will run the install network printer wizard and search for any HP Print servers on your network. Once found will install the necessary ports. You will then be asked for the drivers for the printer you want to print to through the print server.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi Tech,

Thanks for the response. That is the missing piece to this puzzle I am sure. Will let you know how it goes. Probably won't do right away as I am a bit under the weather right now.

Is there MAC support? I have a MAC on this network also. It sees the printer server.

Thanks again.

RiverMiss

#14 RiverMiss

RiverMiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hi Again,

Alright - the memory is not always correct! I just went back to the office with the printer/print server and lo and behold it is an Intel Netport Express 10/100 3-port Print Server. I guess I never got an HP for myself. Used a lot of HP's with clients. I hope you are laughing because I am. Anyway... I guess I need to find out how to take the next step with an Intel. Thank you.

RiverMiss

#15 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hi RiverMiss,

No problem. I've done that in the past too.

Fortunately, I think you're in luck as far as configuring and installing this on both the PC and Mac. Intel has a Java based applet for controlling their print servers. It is available from here. Hopefully this will help you get it installed and configured on both your PC's and Mac's.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users