Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

website design

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

i have 4 websites to design, and im planing on starting a business with web design. i run everything from my flashdrive, and i want to know if anyone knows portable programs that are needed for website development?
i need these to be free, but later on i might be able to buy programs, or at least donate to the owners of the programs.

i would really appreciate any help with this.

i also want to know how to make very good looking websites. i want my websites to look like i used a template, but i really didnt.
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hi kitkin15,

1. Try this link: Freeware replacements at BC

2. Google, Google and Google.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

#3 flyingduck15

flyingduck15

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hmm for coding I'd say definitely carry Notepad++ on your USB. Very lightweight and can recognize many kinds of programming languages.

#4 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

tes, ive tried it...im not the best at coding (still really good) so it dont work the best for me, is there anything like adobe dreamweaver cs4?
i know there is a portable version of it...free...i doubt its legal, so i dont want to try that. but i would like something close to it, ive googled and googled but i cant find anything close to dreamweaver

#5 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Falu, i tried that link, and it had TONS of awesome programs...but not the ones im looking for right now. ive tried all of those editors and i dont really like their layout, im not complaining or anything, but if you know any others than please let me knos so i can get these sites done lol. its oging to be alot of work.

if there are programs that you have to pay for id like to know those also, i have dreamweaver now (trial version) but if i can find something cheeper, than id like that (oh and if you have links where i can legaly buy adobe DreamWeaver CS4 cheaper than in stores, please let me know about that also.)

thank you =)

#6 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

So your looking for a visual editor.

Site spinner isnt bad but produces horrible code.

I would reccommend going to w3schools.com and learning xhtml and CSS, they are very easy when you get used to them and let you have more control over how your site will look. By that I mean some visual editors dont do what you want some of the time.

If you do choose to learn some then I will be happy to awnser some of your questions.

Hope I can help, Wolfy87.

#7 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

yes i know what you mean, dreamweaver does good...but not always what i want.

first, can you tell me what the difference is between "CSS" and "XHTML"? i know it sounds stupid, but i dont know what the difference is. i will check out that site as soon as i can, im at school and have to get off in 5 minutes

#8 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I use Serif Webplus SE 1.0.1.3

It's free BUT has limited options looking at the professional version..... as you will have expected.

Personally I've taken the time to work my way through the manual and I like it and it suits me well, indeed very well!!

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

#9 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Sure, xhtml is essentially html, but instead of using <BR> xhtml uses <br /> (Thats a line break by the way, in other words, a line down).

So xhtml is a more structured version of html and is used for outputting text and images to the browser etc.

CSS on the other hand works alongside xhtml/html to make it look nice, for example:

<p>Hello, World!</p>

This would just put Hello, World! on your screen, it will be in a horrible font and with no color, yuck.

If we add CSS though...

<style type="text/css">
p {
font-size:30px;

font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color:#00FF00;
}
</style>

<p>Hello, World!</p>

Now its huge, in a nice font and in a lovely green color =D

Thats what CSS dose, it makes html look good.

And BC is blocked at my school =[

Hope this helps, Wolfy87.

Edited by Wolfy87, 18 February 2010 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users