Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't play Flash video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'm not sure where to post this: :thumbsup:
have not been able to watch full episodes of a tv program because the message reads (in the Flash Player): The video you are trying to watch is either unavailable or being blocked by an Ad Blocker in your browser.
I can watch everything else I want to on my laptop - this is a first; neither IE8 nor Mozilla will play the videos (same message).
I am not aware of any installed Ad Blocker, have added the proper url to "allowed sites", have turned off Pop Up Blocker, have put "ad blocker" in Search and nothing came up, checked the Add-Ons and nothing seems out of place. Oddly enough, the video plays fine at work where there is unmatched, system-wide security and firewalls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you,
jackiemarie

EAM, Malware Bytes Premium

HP g7- Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

What website are you trying to view? It seems like the problem might be on their end.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

It's full episodes of The Good Wife; http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_good_wife/#in.
Doesn't seem to matter whether I log in to the CBS community thing or not; I do not log in at work, and it plays well.

#4 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Oh, forgot to say: I use AVG free antivirus, Super AntiSpyware Lifetime, Webroot Spysweeper, occasionally, free AntiMalware Bytes. I also checked in their "advanced" area and can't find anything that might be blocking...don't use the SmartFilter or InPrivate Browsing that comes along with IE8.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

You might want to try adjusting security settings in IE8. I don't live in the US so I can't watch it anyway.

#6 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

OK, got a solution finally.
After some research following putting "being blocked by an Ad blocker installed in your browser" (including the quote marks) in google search, I wasn't comfortable changing the Host File extensions etc. as proposed at some tech forums, so I opened Webroot SpySweeper and clicked on Shields; under Network Shields, I clicked on Common Ad Sites (or Hosts File), and then UNCHECKED the Common Ad Sites button -- voila, the video plays fine. Apparently, the DoubleClick cookie/tracking thing that CBS uses is stopped cold by the Hosts File.
I'll recheck it after watching. An easy solution, that's good.
jackiemarie
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users