Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xerces

Xerces

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hi, I want to upgrade my pc, its about 5 years old now so cant run new games. Can someone give me advice about what the best/value for money upgrades I could consider.

My current spec is:

AMD athlon 64 processor 3500+

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Mobo

Nvidia Geforce 6800

1GB ram

250GB HD

Windows XP pro

550W PSU

19'' moniter

Should i just start from scratch or can I just upgrade the Gfx and ram?? I'd like to have a widescreen gaming machine to last me the next few years atleast.

I have a budget of about 500 but much less if possible

cheers

Edited by Xerces, 16 February 2010 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

I don't game...but, IMO, it rather foolish to expend money/resources on an older system...when newer/faster systems can be obtained that will yield much better performance than older systems.

I would think "motherboard bundle" or "inexpensive system I can easily modify with RAM, GPU, and PSU upgrades."

That's just the way I look at things. I don't spend a lot of money on systems and I'm not a gamer...but I left my Athlon 64 processor in the dust a few years ago. Not because I was crazy for a new system...it's just that components have gotten better and cheaper since then and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...to move up to what may have been current a year or less ago. If not 6 months ago.

Louis

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

I also agree with hamluis, I would go ahead and buy a new system. I am currently looking at this. Keep in mind that that bundle doesnt include a hard drive, CD/DVD drive or a fan/heatsink for the CPU (processor). After adding up all the other parts, for everything the total is about $320, excluding an operating system.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

I agree with everyone as well. Socket 939 is way dead and the best your can do with that equipment will get blown away by run of the mill new stuff. You can put together a decent system for probably under $600 and that would be only reusing your case and optical drives. That would be a decent gigabyte board, PhenomIIx4, 2 GB of ram, 500GB HD, power supply, and a decent video card.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

You can add my voice to the "don't do it" category. You would get a better, and newer, PC if you simply used the cash you were going to spend and built a new system.

3939.png

#6 Xerces

Xerces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for all of your opinions, I think il go ahead and build a new machine but use my old case. Also is it possible to use my old hdd and add a new 500gb one aswell, giving me 750Gb? Im a bit out of the loop with all the new stuff thats out. whats the best brand of video card these days? and is blu-ray going to be the standard soon and worth upgrading now?

Thanks

Edited by Xerces, 17 February 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

You can upgrade now. If your old hard drive is five years or more old, you should get a new one as they often have a lifespan of about five years. When it comes to video cards, brand doesn't really matter as all cards are mass produced and nearly identical with the exception of the warranty and non-critical components. Currently, ATI is winning in terms of performance and value versus power. Blu-Ray is not a standard method for distributing software, with the possible exception of the PlayStation 3. Blu-Ray drives in a PC are mostly for movies and backups.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users