Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Software Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 p8315

p8315

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

I have 4 computers 2 dell laptops 1 toshiba and 1 dell desk top at home. The lap tops run off the router connected to my computer. ATT offers mcafee but i was told it was not secure. Basicly a trial verson, One dell has been infected and reformed. The other is running AGV free version and the toshiba is now on the AGV free version. I do not now anything about this AGV!!! I found this sight but not sure if I should trust it. hxxp:// www.deletespyware-adware.com/InternetSecurity.htm

Not sure if i can go buy Nortons or Mcafee and if they will protect all thrugh the net work or not. Please Help
Thanks
Paula

Edited by quietman7, 16 February 2010 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Further, it necessitates staff spending time with housecleaning...time which could have been provided to others needing assistance. I have removed it from this forum.

Norton and McAfee are as good as most of the others, but they tend to be resource hogs.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources.

Edited by quietman7, 16 February 2010 - 12:05 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users