Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery replacement

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jose_007

jose_007

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

My PC clock always shows wrong time....and i think its battery problem considering it is 7 years old...
I read somewhere that we need to backup or atleast note down CMOS settings from BIOS...can anyone guide me about it ??

and what other steps to be taken berfore i remove battery from CPU and take it to store for getting replaced

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

It hasn't been necessary to write down CMOS settings...for several years.

Those recommendations were generated during the Win 95-98 years.

Replacing the battery will result in the default settings kicking in...which probably were the settings when you first acquired the system.

In any case...those settings are capable of being modified/corrected at any time.

Assuming that you buy a new battery, be sure to put it in properly, without damaging any snaps/pins, etc. that hold it in place...with the plus sign visisble (just as the replaced battery is currently).

Reset the data and time or you will cause unnecessary problems for yourself...then save the changes made by hitting F10.

Battery (CR2032) is available anywhere selling electronic/watch/radio/etc. batteries.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#3 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Replacing the battery will result in the default settings kicking in...which probably were the settings when you first acquired the system.

what are these settings ??

Reset the data and time or you will cause unnecessary problems for yourself...then save the changes made by hitting F10.

please explain this

Battery (CR2042) is available anywhere selling electronic/watch/radio/etc. batteries.

Is this one compatimble with every PC ?

And if possible whats its estimated cost....

and Do Compaq/HP sell their original batteries???

#4 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

and if anything to be copied from BIOS ..whats it ???

Also tell procedure to change battery ...directly remove it ??or first uninstall it from hardware ??

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

System model?

Louis

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Battery (CR2042) is available anywhere selling electronic/watch/radio/etc. batteries.

I believe the correct size is CR2032. 2042 does not even exist.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Typo on my part, thanks, RainbowSix :thumbsup:.

I will edit that.

Louis

#8 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

First of all ,thank you everyone for replying,
but No one replied about hardware thing

because I noticed in Device manger,a thing called under system devices ..System CMOS/Realtime Clock under System Devices
So should I uninstall it before removing battery ??

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Yeah sir,In those links only they had advised to make a copy of BIOS ..whereas you said not to do so...I am confused.. :thumbsup:

and also how to fill those values after inserting new battery ??

Sorry if feel my questions are immature/dumb.....but I am doing a hardware operation for the first time...so feeling nervous

#9 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

help..........

is it procedure just to remove battery and put the new one and nothing else ??????

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yes, just replace the battery.

Louis

#11 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members