Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All USB Ports Have Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FWest

FWest

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

I have a HP Slimline s7700e and all of the USB ports stopped working, front and back. I believe the MB is a Asus A8N-BR (HP name is Pyrite-GL8E). I have done a factory reinstall and the USB ports are still dead. I am assuming I need to replace the MB. Where is the best place to buy this replacement? Better yet, is there anything I can try to fix the USB ports? OS is Vista Home Premium. I have gone to Device Manager and uninstalled all USB items and reinstalled, still no luck connecting any devices. However, the memory card readers in Device Manager don't appear at all any more. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

A final test I use before assuming hardware fault is to boot with a ubuntu live cd. If the usb ports are still dead then you have confirmed a hardware fault.

The mb is available here:
http://www.pnjcom.com/Hp-Compaq-Motherboar...3699-A8N-BR.htm

Google by the hp part number to find more but beware of redirects and badly worded memory sales sites.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

If you have an open PCI slot (that system has 1 PCI slot per specs), then any one of the following will do.

USB 2.0 PCI Controller Cards

Louis

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I have a HP Slimline s7700e and all of the USB ports stopped working, front and back. I believe the MB is a Asus A8N-BR (HP name is Pyrite-GL8E). I have done a factory reinstall and the USB ports are still dead. I am assuming I need to replace the MB. Where is the best place to buy this replacement? Better yet, is there anything I can try to fix the USB ports? OS is Vista Home Premium. I have gone to Device Manager and uninstalled all USB items and reinstalled, still no luck connecting any devices. However, the memory card readers in Device Manager don't appear at all any more. Thanks for any help.

Before you assume they are all totally dead.

Enter your BIOS setup utility at bootup and check to sse if USB FUNCTION is enabled. It may have been disabled for some reason.

Some BIOS versions allow the turning off of the USB ports.

Also make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard, the origional ones were included on your motherboard's CD, look on the disk in the drivers section of the CD for USB 2.0 drivers.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, if there is no motherboard utility disk, you should go to the website of your motherboard and look for drivers that are related to your motherboard model #, updating those drivers to a newer release version # is a very good idea. Hewlett Packard has an automated on-line utility that installs an Active X scan tool to your computer and automatically directs you to all your needed driver updates.

As long as you can get that computer on line, I suggest you go to http://www.hp.com/#Support Under STEP #1 click Download drivers and software. On STEP #2 click the button where it says AUTOMATICALLY DETECT PRODUCTS

Install the Active X scan tool and let it scan, it will direct you to all needed drivers and software needed for your HP related devices.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 February 2010 - 12:21 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 FWest

FWest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried the Live CD and the USB ports still don't work, checked for updated drivers, etc, no help. I am going to go ahead and replace the board. Sorry for the late reply...been out of town.

Edited by FWest, 26 February 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

I don't care what USB devices I employed...I would never even think about replacing a motherboard for something that can be easily overcome by installing a PCI card (which, coincidentally, costs much less than a motherboard).

USB Controller Cards

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users