Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Win7 without losing files?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jruggiero

jruggiero

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:51 AM

Okay, so here's the deal.

I have been using the Windows 7 RC Build 7100.

Today I got a message saying my OS would expire in 14 days and that i needed to upgrade.

I know the only way to upgrade is to clean install.

I was wondering if there was any way for me to retain my files without backing up.

Possibly by partitioning my drive and installing on the blank partition? Then could i read my data/installs from the other partition?

I also have a 500 gig drive that i do not use.

I could use that as well.

Advanced Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

You've waited a little late in the game, but anyhow...

What should I do if I'm running the Release Candidate (RC) version of Windows 7?

If you want, you could potentially create another partition, and copy your data (documents, music, photos, etc.) to this new partition (you will have to reinstall all your programs, you can't save them as is). Then, after a clean install of whatever operating system you choose (you didn't say, so I can only assume that you will buy the full Windows 7), you can simply copy the files back. Just be careful during the clean installation to not mess with your new data partition.

I personally would go with an external source of backup (external hard drive, etc.), but it is possible to do it with the same drive by just copying your data to a separate partition, then copying back after the install.

Does that make sense? :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users