Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After recovery of bad sectors XP MCE acts like it's locking files? (Access Denied)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ptphoto

ptphoto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

I've done so much I hope to remember everything:

System is a toshiba satellite, running MS XP Media Center Edition:

Everything started when my I defragged and restarted my system, then found out I had several bad sectors that damaged windows and prevented the system from starting.
The system would hang at the welcome screen and go no further. After a no go with chkdsk repair i tried "last known good configuration" and was able to get the system into windows but no taskbar, no sound, no internet, and what seemed like no services wanted to run. I ran chkdsk repair again but this time it went through saying "replacing invalid security id with default security id for file XXXXXX" and hitting a number somewhere past 250,000 so i assume it went through every single file on my system changing the default security. After this move everything on my system appeard to be working. I now had internet, sound, and most of the goodies.

Now today I tried windows update but error out with "0x800A0046" asking me to change internet security settings that are already where they want them set. I tried to run a fix from microsoft from the page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/ to "How do I restore security settings to the default settings?" which I actually ran a day ago. But I went to run the auto fix program from MS and I get the error

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Norton Anti-Virus was showing the Sonar Protection needed fixed, so when I clicked ot fix it i was told it could not be fixed. Now the norton icon does not show up in the bottom right corner, but i believe the files are running in Task Manager, but if I double click my icon for norton nothing will show.

I also run a program called Expressdigital Darkroom Professional that requires a USB dongle to run. I can load the program but when I go to import photos into my program I am getting an Access Denied comment and it will not import photos. I notice all of my folders are showing Read Only marked on them. I go to set the option off and hit ok, go back and it's set again.

I did have an issue where my account was part of 3 groups, which I have removed all but administrator.

It seems like if not a service with a problem almost as if my files are locked down, read only? 2 other instances of problems I can think of, when i use MS outlook i go to send an email, normally it would use ms word but it says it's not installed and uses the internal editor instead, but I can run ms word on it's own. ANother issue is under Event Viewer when you have an error you can click on the link and go to the website to view details, once I click it will not transfer my to the MS website to view my issue or a way to resolve.

I realize most people feel I should just wipe the system, but with everything I have on here I truly want that a last resort, It seems all of these problems occured after the system reset the default security ID. appreciate any help here...

Thanks...

Edited by ptphoto, 16 February 2010 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for asking your question. Please provide me with a few details so that I may better assist you.

1. Model number of your of hard drive. This information can be located in device mgr.
2. The version of Windows Xp Media Edition you have (the year). Can be located under the general tab of My Computer properties.
2. The version of service pack you have installed.

Thanks Joel,

#3 ptphoto

ptphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for asking your question. Please provide me with a few details so that I may better assist you.

1. Model number of your of hard drive. This information can be located in device mgr.
2. The version of Windows Xp Media Edition you have (the year). Can be located under the general tab of My Computer properties.
2. The version of service pack you have installed.

Thanks Joel,

The model number of the old HDD was a western digital wd2500bevs-11ust0 the new drive is western digital wd3200bevt-00a0rt0

XP MCE 2002

Service Pack 2

Paul

#4 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Thank you for providing the requested information. In your original post you made no mention of the "old" or the "new" hdd. Although it would probably be safe to assume you are using the "new" hdd, when it comes to diagnosing computer errors it is my standard practice to not make assumptions whenever possible. Therefore, please clarify which drive you are actually using so that I may provide you with more accurate advice. Also, is the hdd you are currently using the same as the one you recevied the bad sectors error message on?

Thanks, Joel :thumbsup:

Edited by joelj1964, 16 February 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#5 ptphoto

ptphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for providing the requested information. In your original post you made no mention of the "old" or the "new" hdd. Although it would probably be safe to assume you are using the "new" hdd, when it comes to diagnosing computer errors it is my standard practice to not make assumptions whenever possible. Therefore, please clarify which drive you are actually using so that I may provide you with more accurate advice. Also, is the hdd you are currently using the same as the one you recevied the bad sectors error message on?

Thanks, Joel :thumbsup:

I am using the new HDD. I used active@ Bootdisk to image the old drive onto the new one, at some point chkdsk must have marked the bad sectors on the old drive and then when I imaged onto the new drive those bad marks must have been copied over, which is nto my biggest concern right now. The old drive is no longer connected, it's going back to be replaced.

So when running chkdsk it was reporting the new HDD as having bad sectors but i'm wondering if it's because the image copied those blocks over..

Thanks..

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

FWIW:

It's not unusual for a hard drive to have bad sectors initially, see What Is A Bad Sector - http://www.tech-faq.com/bad-sector.shtml.

As long as bad sectors are recognized and no data has been placed on such, there's no problem.

Problems are interpreted when bad sectors begin to occur/increase as the result of physical damage to the drive, as I understand it.

Louis

#7 ptphoto

ptphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

FWIW:

It's not unusual for a hard drive to have bad sectors initially, see What Is A Bad Sector - http://www.tech-faq.com/bad-sector.shtml.

As long as bad sectors are recognized and no data has been placed on such, there's no problem.

Problems are interpreted when bad sectors begin to occur/increase as the result of physical damage to the drive, as I understand it.

Louis

May not be bad then, I think it was 14k worth maybe? ah well.... Now just for the Operating system....

#8 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Please click on the link below and download the Windows Installer 4.5 package. You will want to choose the WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe as shown in the picture. Next, if Norton has a repair option, try running it to see if that corrects the issue. If it doesn't, try uninstalling it using the appropriate tool on the link below. Choose the version you have installed and follow the instructions. Be sure to save your key code. After the uninstall is complete, re-install.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

[attachment=47783:windows_installer.JPG]

Edited by joelj1964, 17 February 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#9 ptphoto

ptphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Please click on the link below and download the Windows Installer 4.5 package. You will want to choose the WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe as shown in the picture. Next, if Norton has a repair option, try running it to see if that corrects the issue. If it doesn't, try uninstalling it using the appropriate tool on the link below. Choose the version you have installed and follow the instructions. Be sure to save your key code. After the uninstall is complete, re-install.

Right now I am trying to get hold of my original norton disc before I start this step, of course it's missing once i need it. I have tried installing the 4.5 Installer, and SP3 with no change. Under security on my C drive i've made certain Administrator had full control, then I tried to give full ocntrol to just my account, no change. I've also tried to create another account under the admin group with no success. I have my old HDD sent out waiting on the new replacement from Western Digital now. Once that comes back i'll start with reinstalling the OS to another drive, but I wish I could just spare this one and nto have to reinstall everything. LoL

So it looks like it's with the whole system, not just a single account. All accounts are also local, not a domain. I'm trying to get SFC to work right but this is an OEM installation so it won't take the discs i have, just trying to copy the i386 folder to a cd now to get to work right.

One issue I also ran into was with windows update. I received an error 0x800A0046 when i try an update. I tried everything microsoft suggested on their knowledge base and with security settings in IE7, but no change. After chkdsk repair in recovery console I did at one time get it past this point and into a scrolling bar to show it was progressing, but that was it. So many issues....

I'm willing to try almost any idea right now.

Thanks..

Edited by ptphoto, 21 February 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#10 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hi ptphoto,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Which Norton product and version do you currently have installed?

Once you have resolved the issues with your hard drive, and Windows is updated and working properly, you can download and install the latest version of your Norton product. Please make note of your current Activation Key and then click on the link below and choose the "Download" button under the Norton product to which you have a valid license.

Update to the latest version of your Norton product

Let me know if you have any further problems.
Thanks,
Mike

Right now I am trying to get hold of my original norton disc before I start this step, of course it's missing once i need it. I have tried installing the 4.5 Installer, and SP3 with no change. Under security on my C drive i've made certain Administrator had full control, then I tried to give full ocntrol to just my account, no change. I've also tried to create another account under the admin group with no success. I have my old HDD sent out waiting on the new replacement from Western Digital now. Once that comes back i'll start with reinstalling the OS to another drive, but I wish I could just spare this one and nto have to reinstall everything. LoL

So it looks like it's with the whole system, not just a single account. All accounts are also local, not a domain. I'm trying to get SFC to work right but this is an OEM installation so it won't take the discs i have, just trying to copy the i386 folder to a cd now to get to work right.

One issue I also ran into was with windows update. I received an error 0x800A0046 when i try an update. I tried everything microsoft suggested on their knowledge base and with security settings in IE7, but no change. After chkdsk repair in recovery console I did at one time get it past this point and into a scrolling bar to show it was progressing, but that was it. So many issues....

I'm willing to try almost any idea right now.

Thanks..

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users