Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which graphics card best?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bbddown17

bbddown17

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:07 PM

i was wondering two things.
which graphics card is the best.
and i was planning to upgrade my graphics card for a reasonable price,
about 150 or less.
i already have a ati radeon x300.
is there anything goo out there? i prefer more than 128 mb because
i already have one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

For less than 150 $ a 256 MB card is a waste of money. Getting too caught up in the MB size nowadays is pointless. The GPUs have gotten so much faster that big amounts of memory isn't that important. For 150 you could get a GeForce 6600GT which is a good card. You could also live on water and bread a couple of days and get a GeForce 6800 for around 170 $.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 bbddown17

bbddown17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

cool, thanks . do you know anything about ati cards?
which one is better

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

theres the X600 and the X700, if you can really cough up some cash, the X800 series isnt that bad.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

ATI's got their 50$ budget card, the Radeon x300, which is a cheap card. Then they've got the mid-level Radeon x600, which kinda sucks. And then they've got the Radeon x800 cards. There is the Radeon x800GT, which has come down in price and can be found for around 150$ and would then also be a good option for you. If you manage to get lucky and find an x800GT with 256 MB for 150$, then it would be a better alternative to the GeForce 6600GT. And then there is the high-end cards: The Radeon x800PRO for about 300$ and the really sweet Radeon x800XL for about 400$.

Which one is better? ATI or Nvidia?
On a whole you can't say, you must look on a per card basis.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

I dunno, ATI is trhe card i would recommend overall for their solidness, GPU, and overclocking. ATI has goptten me outta alot of jams. Ironically, I have a nvidia 6600gt pci-x card. The ONLY reason i got it was to SLI. ATI hasent/wont adopt that technology. if you wanna sli, go nvidia, if not, stay ati, but go to the x-600 or x-800.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

words of wisdom btw
Google...Google.....browse..read

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:28 PM

Okay, instead of creating a whole new thread, I have a question about 3 different 7800 gt's.

Is there much of a difference between the BFG 7800 gt and the MSI NX7800GT?

The reason is that I am looking to buy a new video card and I am thinking to sell my BFG 6800 gt oc 256 agp8x to aid in saving for a 7800 gt pcie for when I buy a new computer. Now, all I know about their specs is that the BFG one is overclocked, but would it really matter all too much anyway? I belive I had heard something about their specs differeing slightly, but the main question is would it really matter which one I would get (exept from the $50 price difference)

Here are the links for the places I would purchase them at.
MSI NX7800GT
http://www.microtechcomputers.com/product....MSNX7800GTV256E

MSI NX7800GT lite (I don't know the difference other than some extra software isn't included and it costs a little less)
http://www.microtechcomputers.com/product....SNX7800GTV256EL

BFG 7800 GT
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1118843714616

Edited by Wizdabest, 05 September 2005 - 05:29 PM.

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:20 PM

BFG and MSI are the makers of the boards... nVidia just makes the chip, the 7800GT chip in this case. the board makers obviously put the chip onto the boards and determine the clock speeds (core and memory), and decide what kind of cooling they want for the card. and then during packaging they determine what they are going to give you, like the extra software and games and all that extra good stuff.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:54 AM

To go a little furthur, BFG has a lifetime warranty, and is better at overclocking. the MSI versions, are not good at overclocking. so if the two are relatively close in price, BFG is the one you want. MSI usually bundles lots of software to make up for their lacking compared to BFG. legoman was correct in how they are assembled, and this is where overclocking goes well or not , mostly in the cooling.there are a few things you can do to help yourself if you have an MSI. like replacing the heatsink, or taking off their crappy thermal paste and putting good stuff on.
good luck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

Thank you,

I probably will just go with the BFG one because I like their 6800 gt one I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users