Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Malware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Snuffles

Lord Snuffles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

I currently write this out of safe mode as its the only way my laptop is currently useable D:
My current problem:
Once i log in i get a several instances of "explorer.exe" running, though the description on task manager says it is "Avira Antivirus 9.1 premium edition" A program which i have neither downloaded nor even heard of before. More and more instances of this program will run eating up all my memory and bringing my laptop to a crawl, i also recieve constant "this program has stopped workeing" messages about these avira/explorer guys.

Leading up to the problem:
My computer was working fine for the entire day when suddenly i got a message saying i would be logged off in less tha a minute. I did not recognise the message so out of paranoia opened task manager, i found two instances of a suspicious program running. It called itself "Internet" and its description was "WindowsApplication1" worrying i performed an emergency shutdown. Upon reloading the problem i mentioned started. I cant get rid of it.

Other Information:
Problem does not occur in safe mode.
System Restore did nothing.
I'm currently using vista.
Looking up the startup programs i found an found the bad explorer program, its under "publisher not available" and has an odd logo for it, a sort of black smiley head with a goofy smile and gold coins for eyes.
The program is apparently located at C:\Users\Barry\AppData\Roaming\explorer\explorer.exe
But searching around the location there is nothing there.
I'm currently scanning with AVG and will post results when they finish.

.....help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zachdude53

Zachdude53

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

Same exact thing happened to me, I also saw a post on another forum of this same incident 2hours ago, no one seems to know how to fix it though. (I use Vista also, along with the other person I saw)

Edited by Zachdude53, 15 February 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#3 Lord Snuffles

Lord Snuffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

Have you had any luck fixing it yourself?
I've had a few viruses/malware in my time but nothing i havent been able to fix....until now.

EDIT

I have seen in one of the forums a similar problem with a windos 7 user so it doesnt look like its exclusive to vista. My brain i starting to frazzle since its approaching 5am D:

Edited by Lord Snuffles, 15 February 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#4 Zachdude53

Zachdude53

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

AVG is still scanning but it seems to have stopped popping up for now, I'll go run some stuff and see if it's truly gone or not then fill you in.

Edited by Zachdude53, 15 February 2010 - 11:50 PM.

#5 Lord Snuffles

Lord Snuffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

I am going to try removing the program from startup and seeing if that has any impact i'll update once i have.
AVG still scanning afraid it will take a while since i have a lot of game mods on my laptop.

#6 Lord Snuffles

Lord Snuffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'm happy to announce that the last hour i have spent scouring for any filesin my system that shoulnt be there has paid off, the bad explorer appears to be gone and i found two instances of istealer which i promptly obliterated. Aything turns up ill post, now for some well earned sleep >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users