Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire m3100 and installing a new os

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vallete2003

vallete2003

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

I'm hoping that someone here can help as my warranty with acer has expired. I am trying to install a new os on a new drive which will be my main drive after I can get it installed. This computer has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / 2.6 GHz cpu in it. Model: Acer apsire m3100.

I am at wits end here, every OS that I have tried to installed on the 2nd drive (except for 1) will hang at boot up The only OS that I can get to work is x64 win pro. I have tried Windows 7 x86 and x64, Vista x86 and x64 and both of these hang. All of these OSes are retail versions. The machine's original os is vista home premium x86. So I don't see why when I tried to install vista x86 which was already previously on the machine, that it would hang on boot.

Am I missing something here or does the hardware that acer is using specific to an OEM version of windows? This should not be this difficult to install an os on this machine. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

If you are doing clean installs...there's no reason to have such problems.

Unless the hard drive or RAM is the problem.

That system came with a SATA hard drive...if the BIOS employs IDE emulation/simulation, there should be no problem installing XP, as long as the BIOS settings are correct. The system employed an onboard SATA controller, so there should be no need to install SATA drivers.

If you are trying to install a dual-boot, same applies.

If you are trying to install over a previous O/S...that's just asking for trouble, IMO.

Louis

#3 vallete2003

vallete2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

Yeah i'm installing it to a 2nd harddrive, that is a clean install. I pull out my original harddrive while i'm doing this and booting to the new drive. I have set all the settings in the Bios to make sure it is using this drive as the boot drive. Everything always installs fine, but when it goes to boot the first time it hangs. Ideally I want to put Windows 7 x64 on this machine. But it will not boot this OS at all and I have tried both x86 and x64. I have also tried pulling out peripherals and ram etc. to see if there was a problem and this did not work. The drive is able to boot with windows xp on it, but not with vista or windows 7. Very frustrating! Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by vallete2003, 16 February 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#4 vallete2003

vallete2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? Or any Acer specific information?

#5 vallete2003

vallete2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Anyone? I guess maybe I have a hardware specific problem here. Anyway, any people who have experience with acer and this line of computers if they have any feedback that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users