Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - DVD Drive problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flynnlp10

flynnlp10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

So today I was trying to play a cd through windows media player and I opened the dvdrw drive ( its the only cd type drive my computer has ) and put the cd in. Usually it starts playing or brings up the media player. This time however nothing. I tried to eject thru WMP and the option wasn't available. So i tried to do some digging to see if i could find a problem. I really don't know a whole lot about computers so any help would be appreciated. I went to the device manager and it recognizes this " HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F". However, it has that yellow exclamation point over it and i click troubleshoot and of course it says they got nothing. Then i went to I think it was add/remove hardware. Anyways i got the message " Successfully loaded device driver, but cannot find hardware device (CODE 41) ". Please help. I don't know what else to do. I've only had this computer 9 months. It is an E-Machine EL 1200 with windows XP. I have never moved it around, or taken it apart. Like I said, not really knowledgable outside the basics here. Thanks. Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flynnlp10

flynnlp10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

So today I was trying to play a cd through windows media player and I opened the dvdrw drive ( its the only cd type drive my computer has ) and put the cd in. Usually it starts playing or brings up the media player. This time however nothing. I tried to eject thru WMP and the option wasn't available. So i tried to do some digging to see if i could find a problem. I really don't know a whole lot about computers so any help would be appreciated. I went to the device manager and it recognizes this " HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F". However, it has that yellow exclamation point over it and i click troubleshoot and of course it says they got nothing. Then i went to I think it was add/remove hardware. Anyways i got the message " Successfully loaded device driver, but cannot find hardware device (CODE 41) ". Please help. I don't know what else to do. I've only had this computer 9 months. It is an E-Machine EL 1200 with windows XP. I have never moved it around, or taken it apart. Like I said, not really knowledgable outside the basics here. Thanks. Mike

Edited by Pandy, 15 February 2010 - 11:38 PM.
Moved from Windows XP Home and Pro ~Pandy

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

Does thr drive show in My Computer?
Try deleting the upper/lower filters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Just click on the button that says Fix It
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

I have one of those...with the optical drive turned sideways :thumbsup:.

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F...I don't have that drive, but that's the optical drive for your system. A yellow exclamation point indicates a problem with it.

Code 41 just indicates that Windows has trouble with the device/drive.

I think your drive may be dead.

Go to Device Manager and uninstall the device...reboot...let us know what happens.

Have you opened the case on your system?

Louis

Take a look in Event Viewer...and see if there is an error indicating a disk/drive problem.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2010 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users