Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with stop error - Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcrews

dcrews

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi:

My parents' computer is having a problem and I'm trying to get it fixed for them. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out. The computer is an HP running Windows XP Home.

Windows will not boot, even in Safe Mode. No matter which option you choose on the Advanced Startup menu, you end up with a blue screen and a stop error. The error reads as follows:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0X0000005, 0X8050ED93, 0XF96E5508, 0XF96E5204)

I have no idea what kind of error this is. I tried searching the web for this exact error but I haven't come up with anything. I was thinking that using the Recovery Console might be the way to go, but I don't really know where to start with that, as I've never used it before. I did do chkdsk and it said it found one or more errors, but upon restarting after that I still wasn't able to boot Windows.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to solve this problem? Am I on the right track with the Recovery Console? I would like to try to save as much data on the computer as I can, but in the grand scheme of things there isn't anything on the computer that absolutely must be saved. I would settle for just restoring it to the point that Windows loads and is usable again.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Did you run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dcrews

dcrews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hi:

I ran chkdsk /p

I wasn't aware of the /r command. What does it do differently?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

Here is the official info from Microsoft:

CHKDSK
chkdsk drive /p /r
The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it. The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dcrews

dcrews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Thanks - I'll give that a try and report back.

#6 dcrews

dcrews
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Okay, I tried chkdsk /r and restarted after the scan was finished. Unfortunately I got the same error as before. I then ran chkdsk /p again and it still reported that one or more errors were found.

I've got no idea where to go from here. Any ideas?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

The Recovery Console is a toolkit for certain situations...it doesn't cover every situation.

If you ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console...that's probably the only tool that you can use right now that might be effective.

The BSOD could be caused by many things. For info on it (7E STOP error), see http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, left column.

Louis

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

If chkdsk is showing errors on multiple runs then it might be a hardware problem with the drive. You could try running a diagnostic test.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users