Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a virus and now I've messed up my laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 newschick

newschick

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D820 that did have XP Pro loaded (now has XP home SP1)

I am normally semi-computer literate, and very cautious of downloads, etc. ... but today, I don't know what has happened. I then tried to "fix it" myself and am afraid I've past the point of no return.

A couple of days ago I replaced the battery in the laptop. It was supposedly brand new (ordered from Amazon). Afterwards, I noticed that the volume icon did not show down in my toolbar. I tried to add it back and I was told it had not been installed. I thought it was odd, but didn't dwell on it.

Today, I was on the internet and suddenly my screen froze. I suppose I made the fatal mistake, but I waited for quite sometime and tried to start task manager to no avail. I finally powered down the laptop. From that point on, I couldn't get past the Windows screen, it would never load to the desktop.

I tried to load from last restore point in a recovery mode -- no luck. I tried everything I could think of to get it back to the desktop. I found something on a forum about a glitch in the last Microsoft updates that were messing with XP systems ... I went into the CHDIR and did the $NtUnistall thing on the recommended updates. Still no luck.

I do not have the original disks for this laptop, as I purchased this from my former employer (who most likely purchased it used himself). But, I remembered I had my system disk from my old Dell PC. I thought at the least I could get to the desktop. I had the option to load XP again, and this is most likely where I really screwed up. I didn't create a new folder I let it over write the existing one. Then after all is said and done, I realize the disk is for XP Home and I had XP Pro. The resolution is all screwed up and twice afterwards I got a blue screen with an error (the one I wrote down was STOP: 0x000050 and then 0x000008E. I was able to download a driver for the wireless card and get online. I downloaded a few other recommended drivers on the Dell site.

I can go to all programs, etc. and find some of my old stuff but I guess I deleted XP Pro.

I can't find the security thing that shows the firewall, etc.

I tried to update and run MalwareBytes but got an exception error code 0 or something like that. I tried to download again and got the exception again. It did let me update and scan and showed nothing found.

I had previously used AVG, but it wouldn't work so I downloaded AVIRA. It found 2 items of TR/Trash.Gen in the system volume so I moved them to quarantine.

I assume I need to upgrade from IE6 to IE8, but I am afraid to do so right now.

I assume I cannot restore back to when I had XP Pro -- today is the only restore point option I get.

I tried to run a Hijack this log and it only shows today's stuff, none of my old stuff. Of course, I didn't post it but can if requested. While browsing

I ran across the last combo fix (a year ago that someone had walked me through) -- the text log is still on my laptop so I know on that day it was a restore point.

I typically am not very technical but have a general common sense knowledge here ... right now, I've read so much and screwed up so much that I think my brain is as fried as my laptop.

If anyone would be so kind to help me ... please tell what you would recommend I do ... step by step as I feel really dumb right now. I am afraid to do anything else.

Edited by newschick, 15 February 2010 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Perhaps we can get a foot in the door with a Rescue disk.. Use this Avira AntiVir Rescue System .

You will need to be able to boot from your CD.. How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:34 AM

That should not be a problem. I've downloaded the CD and I know I can choose F12 while booting up to allow one time boot from CD. Will I need to boot to the XP Home or the Recovery Console ? I am given 2 choices.

I will get the computer ready to go to this point and await your reply on what to do next ... luckily I have most of today off, so any progress I can make today will be great. Otherwise, I'll have to work on it after work each day .... which is fine as I am at your mercy. I just wanted you to know in case I am responding to requests after today.

Additionally, I hope I've posted my request for help in the right section.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by newschick, 16 February 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi, go to XP Home..You're in the right place.. We can get this going and clean it. Or at least to a point wher we can put this int our HJT Forum..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi, go to XP Home..You're in the right place.. We can get this going and clean it. Or at least to a point wher we can put this int our HJT Forum..

I have booted into XP Home from the CD ROM. Thanks so much for helping me. (I love your signature). I am posting here from my other laptop, and when I tried to reply it locked up .... argh.

I have the "problem" laptop here with about an hour left on the battery. If it runs down, I'll need to go plug it back up and will need to walk to another room or logon this site from it.

Edited to note: I see you are no longer online, so I will most likely have to catch up with you later ?? I assume this won't be a step by step process, it will be a piece here and there ? In other words I wont' be sitting here doing "live" instructions ? No worries, but I don't just want to sit here and wait. I'm trying to recharge the battery. I have a meeting at Church at 5:15, so I'll be away from the computer from about 4pm or so til I get home.

Edited by newschick, 16 February 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hello,yes I am a volunteer. i go thru as many as I can an reply as quickly as i can between my real life and here and the others I am helping. I don't have a set schedule.. I try to be here a lot.. Some folks don't reply back to me for hoiurs or days. so I just go with the flow.

So the trouble maker just loked up and did not scan?

Glad you like it by ther way

#7 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hello,yes I am a volunteer. i go thru as many as I can an reply as quickly as i can between my real life and here and the others I am helping. I don't have a set schedule.. I try to be here a lot.. Some folks don't reply back to me for hoiurs or days. so I just go with the flow.

So the trouble maker just loked up and did not scan?

Glad you like it by ther way

My meeting ran longer than I expected so I'm out of time tonight. I was able to run a few scans and I have a few logs if we need them. I don't think I am -infected too bad ... I think I just didn't do the re-install properly and somehow need to transfer the settings and files from the old user name to the new one. I also think I need to upgrade the windows from SP1 to SP2 or SP3 ? The IE is 6, so I might need to go to at least IE7. I think I might need a graphics driver ? Maybe that is why it is fuzzy ?

Anywhoo .... I can boot from the CD so what should I do once I get it booted ? I might have some time to do it in between work and Church tomorrow night. Would the logs be of any help to you ?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

Yes post the logs.. They always have clues and info as to where to go. I will try to post as many instructions as I can between our meetings here.

Make the Avira CD. Then turn off the Lappy. Insert the CD and restart it, it will boot off the CD and run.
Updrade windows after we get any malware off. Enjoy the meeting.

Edited by boopme, 16 February 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#9 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

I think I've been able to get all my XP and Windows upgraded ... I am going to the check the microsoft update one more time. I've been able to get it to XP Home. I guess XP Pro is now a thing of my past.

Now, I need to look at a few drivers (I think) ... but before I do that I want to get the Avira activated ... the live protection (AntiVir Guard) will not start and I am lost on trying to activate it. I am researching their help section now.

I will be home early this afternoon and hope to run all the scans again and see what is still messed up .... I think the malware got moved to quarantine in the first scan.

Once I do that, I need to figure out how to get some of my old stuff .... ugh ! From the old user/comptuer name. I know it is still there but failed to do the setup correctly on XP load up ... maybe there is a way to go back in now and enter the old user and/or computer name and get to the stuff.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

first try (Avira)
Right click tray icon,by clock
Click "Start Avira"
Click Activate Avira Guard

If that doesn't do it a reinstall of Avira may be in order as you may have corrupted files.

This is the free version download.__>>> http://www.free-av.com/

Ask about the drivers and getting the files off in the XP forum . They will explain how.

#11 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

first try (Avira)
Click "Start Avira"

If that doesn't do it a reinstall of Avira may be in order as you may have corrupted files.

Ask about the drivers and getting the files off in the XP forum . They will explain how.

I tried to start but it won't activate the Avira Guard. I will try to download again.
I will try to post in the XP forum, I just hope I ask correctly.

#12 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

first try (Avira)
Click "Start Avira"

I tried to start but it won't activate the Avira Guard. I will try to download again.
I will try to post in the XP forum, I just hope I ask correctly.

I've reinstalled Avira and it is working now ... woot woot !! I've posted in the XP forum and asked for help. I probably rambled so much that no one will help me.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Good girl :thumbsup: I'll look it over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users