Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Hi all
I'm looking in to building my 1st desktop pc but I have very limited knowledge about motherboards, I use my current pc for entertainment purposes such as films,games and general web browsing. Can anyone recomend a decent motherboard that will suit my needs and will it cost me a lot. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

What games?

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Well, if you are building this PC from scratch, you need to know which CPU you want. You can pay more and get an Intel CPU or pay less and go for AMD. Intel has the i7 series for high-end gamers which is expensive, but AMD's Phenom II and Athlon II cater more to the mid-range market. Once you know which CPU you want, you then get to go and select a motherboard. A board must have compatibility for a given CPU. For instance, if I was building a PC and wanting to use a, say, Phenom II 955, I would have to find a motherboard that supports it. Good news is if the motherboard supports a specific socket, with my example, all Phenom II and Athlon II CPU's use AM3, I simply find a motherboard allowing for that socket and then checking their CPU compatibility list to make sure my CPU can be used. There are a variety of motherboards you can get from a wide selection of manufacturers. Gigabyte, XFX, eVGA, Asus, ASRock, and MSI usually make good motherboards. There are differences between models, so, if you are looking at several, post them here and we can explain what they do differently.

3939.png

#4 Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

The games I (sometimes) play are fairly old one of them being a mod of Nascar heat but the pc i have at the moment really struggles to run them its quite old and tired now. I would probably call it basic gaming

Also i figured i would do some research in to motherboards before spending money and not having a clue what to do with it looks like i will have to do some research in to cpu's 1st then work from there, I appreciate the help

Edited by Evil Monkey, 16 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

Since you are doing very basic tasks, you would probably be best off with an AMD CPU. AMD's consumer level CPU's are broken down into two models, the Phenom II and the Athlon II. The Athlon's are designed for low power or budget PC's where performance isn't always needed. The Phenom's are designed for towards users who want higher performance, whether it be gamers, CGI, or video editing. Both of those types of CPU's have a number of models you can choose from, but they all use the same socket which is AM3. Any of the dual core models will suit your needs since quad core CPU's will be overkill for you. You can go for either the Athlon II or Phenom II dual core CPU's. The Phenom II's cost a little more, but have greater power. If you took a CPU from either model that had the same number of cores and an equal speed, the Phenom II would win. I suggest either the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz ($95) or the AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz ($75).

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users