1. Press the Windows button on your keyboard, or launch the Start Menu using your cursor.
2. Select the "Run..." option.
3. In the prompted box, enter "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" (without "quotes")
4. Press the Enter button on your keyboard, or click "OK."
5. When you are prompted and asked to restart your computer, click "Yes."
This worked for me. I uninstalled Live Messenger through add/remove months ago, but FileHippo update checker kept finding traces installed in c:\program files\messenger. I tried deleting the file, but received an error message that deleting Messenger could make some programs not work
Hope this hasn't been posted already or that it helps someone.
Edited by Union_Thug, 15 February 2010 - 07:08 PM.