Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on possible build?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hi everyone :thumbsup: its time for me to build my own computer :D I have never built one before but I have wanted to for a long time, and so here I am.

I am on a pretty tight budget, <$400 and wanted your thoughts on this barebones kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleD...st=Combo.328144
From there I can find my way around for the CD/DVD drives, sound cards, hard drives, etc, but I just wanted to know if you guys thought that the parts in that kit were any good. Ive calculated this out:
$190 - barebones kit (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Case)
$20 - CD/DVD drive
$80 - Hard Drive
$30 - Fan/Heatsink for the CPU

Total = roughly $320 excluding shipping

The onboard graphics on that motherboard are supposed to be quite good, so I am not worried there

Any thoughts would be appreciated :huh:

Edited by xblindx, 15 February 2010 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Well...I just kind of went through a similar exercise...I'm a budget system person because the only reason that I ever update is...it's available, I don't get chills when I do it because my present systems already do all the things I do on a computer...easily.

As a general rule, I tend to go with 4GB of RAM these days. It's affordable, it's probably not necessary but I bought my first system back in the "good old days" when a cheap system was $1800-2500, without a printer :thumbsup:. And there was no onboard anything...

When I buy a case with a PSU, I normally just use that PSU for a spare/backup. I buy a separate PSU and install it.

I have the Athlon II X2 250, seems to be good value there for guys like us. When I originally started, I was thinking Phenom II 720, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that the differences were not going to matter to me.

I don't game, anything else I want to do..any dual-core processor does easily.

I think you'll be satisfied/happy.

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Remember, you also need to factor in the operating system and a power supply. Windows 7 Home Premium costs about $100. If you're going for a gaming PC, you may want a better selection, but for a general purpose PC used for other tasks, it should work fine.

3939.png

#4 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

The only gaming I do at the moment is occassionaly Silkroad Online, I have a 360 for games though :huh:
And I was actually thinking of trying out Ubuntu on this system, I am curious though, if it is possible to still find either XP or Vista somewhere? I LOVE XP and am so used to it I'd rather not switch to either Vista or 7, but if I must, I'd rather go the cheaper route and get Vista.

Thanks for the advice, both of you :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 16 February 2010 - 05:30 PM.

#5 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

I am curious though, if it is possible to still find either XP or Vista somewhere? I LOVE XP and am so used to it I'd rather not switch to either Vista or 7, but if I must, I'd rather go the cheaper route and get Vista.

Thanks for the advice, both of you :thumbsup:

Yeah man it's still availiable on Newegg.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

XP is still on Newegg, but costs the same as Windows 7 Home Premium. Vista Home Premium also costs the same as Windows 7 Home Premium. Vista is hard to find since Microsoft is trying to burying it ASAP since few liked it, in fact, you cannot find it at Newegg and TigerDirect has it for Vista Business, which you should not get, and Ultimate. Note that XP, when compared to 7 is a dinosaur whose support will go away entirely in 2014. Currently, XP is in the extended support phase and only critical patches are released. Personally, having used 7 after years of XP and Vista, I say XP should have been fully retired for the consumer (not enterprise) market just as 7 was released. BTW, if you've never used Ubuntu, you may want to try the live CD version of it out before committing. If you like the visual layout of Windows, you may like the KDE variant of Ubuntu called Kubuntu.

Note: if you later decide to get 4GB or more of RAM, you will need a 64-bit operating system to use it all.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit - $104
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - $109
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit - $194

3939.png

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

I will add a note that...purchase of a family-pack update version of Win 7 Home Premium...results in considerable savings for anyone with more than 1 system.

My per install cost was about $58, IIRC.

Louis

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium family pack was a limited time promotion that has expired. You cannot find it. I wish Microsoft kept it as a standard SKU. The only thing similar to the family pack is the three license OEM pack.

3939.png

#9 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

ersonally, having used 7 after years of XP and Vista, I say XP should have been fully retired for the consumer (not enterprise) market just as 7 was released. BTW, if you've never used Ubuntu, you may want to try the live CD version of it out before committing. If you like the visual layout of Windows, you may like the KDE variant of Ubuntu called Kubuntu.

Note: if you later decide to get 4GB or more of RAM, you will need a 64-bit operating system to use it all.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit - $104
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - $109
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit - $194

Thanks for the links and info :thumbsup: I have a few more questions (Sorry I am a noob to computer hardware, I'm more into the software area lol). Will most, if not all, CD/DVD drives work with the motherboard mentioned above? Or are there certain optical drives that you must use for certain Motherboards?

And regarding Ubunto/Kubuntu, this may be a stupid question, but will ANY Windows applications (i.e Microsoft Word, etc) work with it? What about alternate web browsers such as Firefox? And games such as Silkroad online?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thanks, DJB :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm running the live CD of Kubuntu right now, and I have to say it looks amazing! I have about 36 gigs left on my hard drive, is there any way I could install Kubuntu onto, say a 4GB partition? I believe my drive has 2 partitions at the moment, its a Dell computer so it should have the recovery partition and then just the normal C:\\ drive.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

I used Kubuntu for about a year and then I got rid of it even though I liked the visual style, Konqueror, and AmaroK. I had to reinstall the OS three times due to problems I had trying to get my Nvidia drivers to work and I could not stand having to type in code into a terminal window just to do some basic tasks. It certainly is not a bad OS, it's just I know what I'm doing in Windows very well but when I but when I try and do some of the same things in Ubuntu, or any of its variants, I end up hitting walls and becoming frustrated. If I go back to it, I will do so on a machine that isn't intended for gaming or high-performance, but one that is only meant for day-to-day tasks. Windows software may be able to work in Kubuntu under WINE, but make very sure you know what you are doing before going this route. Also, certain programs will still only run in Windows due to copy protection. Some applications, like Office, have variants in Linux, like OpenOffice or, since you are using KDE, KOffice. A good free Photoshop-like program you can try is GIMP, it is also available on Windows along with Linux. Just check Adept or Synaptic to find it. If you need help, the people over at the [url="http://"http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?quot;"]Official Ubuntu forums[/url] are a great resource. I found, on those forums, that Silkroad Online does work under WINE, though, performance may be a little different.

3939.png

#13 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the information! :thumbsup:
So regarding the partitions, is there a limit to how many partitions a hard drive can have?? I believe mine already has 2, since its a Dell, it has the recovery partition, the normal C partition, and I have installed the Microsoft Recovery Console, so that may be another partition? Would Kubuntu work on only a 4gig partition?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

A hard drive is limited to a max of 4 primary partitions...but there is no limit (that I know of) for logical partitions.

A primary partition is necessary to install Windows, I don't know anything about other O/Ses.

Louis

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

I don't think you should try to run any OS in such a small partition. I had to create two partitions (root and swap) for the OS, but it was over a year ago so I'm not sure. The people over at the Ubuntu forums suggest, at the very least, 7GB for the root partition. That 7GB is just for the install and does not include anything for software or files, such as video or music. Once you factor all that in, you would need about 12GB. Here's a guide to installing Ubuntu. Kubuntu looks a little different, but what you have to do remains the same.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users