Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got virus, now can't log on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unix110011

unix110011

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hey all.

A relative called me yappin about her computer. I asked what was wrong. She explains she got a virus, and now, she is not able to log into windows. She turns on the computer, and the user screen pops up. She presses her user, enters password, shows desktop for brief period, and puts her back into the user screen.

Computer: Dell Dimension 3000

I have tried logging in with safemode and safemode with networking to no avail.
I have tried running bit defender rescue disc to run a scan that way, and it only scanned 125 files. nothing found it said.
I cant even locate my partition from rescue cd to transfer the files to another formatted HD.

I ran back to her place and got all the discs that came with it. I just ran chkdsk /p and it said it found errors, now I am running chkdsk /r. It found errors but how do I fix them? I hope I can get to the point of being able to log back into windows and take care of all malware and viri.

What say you BC? What would be the best route to cure this issue.

Good thing is, I get to keep the puter when I am done. She just wants all the files off it. ie - music, doc, photos.
I tell everyone I know to make a backup, and be careful on the internet. And to use firefox. They never listen.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

You may be able to back-up the files with this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

The chkdsk /r command automatically fixes what errors it can.

Louis

#4 roadster_gt3

roadster_gt3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

your only hope seems to be a reinstall, though be sure to backup first as suggested above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users