Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I plug in my External HD all devices shut off.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FallenAnzel

FallenAnzel

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have a 100 GB External HD that I accidently had plugged in while I was formatting my os. Now for some reason every time I plug it in everything thats plugged into my computer shuts off and stops working. The only way to get them to start working again is by unplugging the HD and restarting my computer. If there is anyway for this to stop happening that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

Is the external drive usb powered or have its own wall wart?

Many usb powered external drives I have require power booster usb cables (two usb connectors on one end) that worked with a single connector cable when they were new.

Some of the hp desktops I have worked on will halt at the bios screen when a powered usb drive is already plugged in when booted.

It is going to be hard to tell if your problem is with the external drive or with the mainboard. I have never heard of any software related problem that could do that. However there are several usb devices I have that work fine with xp but are not recognized at all by win7 or vista.

#3 FallenAnzel

FallenAnzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

It plugs into the wall. I don't think its windows 7 thats doing that though because when I plug it in on the boot up screen the devices shut off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users