Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro NOT booting in safemode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yard

yard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I was one of the lucky people that found that I had a problem with a root directory file after I downloaded the Windows update that did not allow my computer to restart in Normal mode. I really don't know if I solved that probelm for sure, but by replacing some windows system files, I was able to get my computer to restart in Normal mode. After doing further investigation on why I could not get my computer to start in safe mode, load a windows recovery or even get to a command prompt, I found a few sites and people that have talked about your site and the Combofix tool and problems with root directly files or the possiblity of virus or spyware in root directory files.

So, here I am...I am looking for some assistance. I have a Dell XPS 630i running XP Pro. When I try to start in safe mode or strartup by going to a command prompt, my startup gets hung up after/while loading the mup.sys. If I try and boot to the Windows XP disk, it goes through loading all the drivers and I get a stop code of 0x0000007E.

I see this may be a common problem by reveiwing other peoples posts. It seems that one fix is to run the combofix tool and send a copy of the log to an approved person that may work for this site. I noticed your posts say to only upload your log file in one area and only when told to do so.

I first noticed the problem about not being able to start up in safe mode a few weeks ago. I tried to start up in safemode b/c I lost power and my battery backup was unplugged so the computer wanted me to start in safemode. I tried it just to see if there were any problems by starting in safemode and it would not let me in. B/c it did not work, I loaded up normal and it started up. I forgot that it did not work b/c I have not needed safemode since then. Last week, I downloaded and installed the MS update and it would not allow me to start in normal mode. B/c I was having the past problem, I could not start in safemode, normal mode or anywhere else. As I stated above, I replaced a few system files and have been able to start in normal mode. I used the computer all day today to make sure there were not any problems and everything seemed to work fine today.

So now, I want to try and fix the other issues regarding it not booting in safemode and giving me BSOD when trying to use the window disk to boot.

I was wondering if someone could please help me fix this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

You could try this:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 yard

yard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I gave in and re-installed XP from scratch...thanks for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users