Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installation & reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

My computer is 3 + years old and came with Vista premium installed. Over the years, many files became corrupted because of several factors. Like many others, I had Vista updates from MS fail to install.Some of those that did install, screwed things up. One update ruined the audio for thousands of us.Microsoft India spent 45 minutes repairing that one. Scannow, and other tools won't fix everything anymore.
I got a new, legitimate disk of ultimate 7, signature series, sealed in the black folder etc., and was given a 64 bit promotional disk disk of 7, not for resale. I went to the shop I have used for years and asked for a completely clean install, stating I wanted everything removed first. Was told that installing the 7 would remove everything first . It didn't remove stuff, so I have 7, 64 bit, that's a mess. Running smart defrag, every other entry seems to be "windows old".. D disk still has the exact same amount of remaining space it did with vista. I'm experiencing the jerkiness I had before when scrolling, plus many of the previous problems.
Making matters worse, the Windows "answer and help section" of the program, states that once installed, 7 can't be completely removed, but merely reinstalled over. I haven't registered yet as requested, but the 3 days requirement expired yesterday. I'm not returning to the shop for a fix, since I was deceived.
Still want a completely clean install if possible, and not reinstalled 7 over 7-vista screw up. Please help and be specific or give listed steps.
Diagnostic freeware found only two damaged physical file spots on HD. ,smallest size it measures : sectors?. Other diagnostics found no other problems, with memory, speeds, or temperatures, etc. in computer.Analysing with Ccleaner registry finds 2 pages of listings. DiD NOT correct. only looked at.
Thank you.

Gateway GT 5438
Dual channel 2048 MB DDR2
Dual core 64 bit processor E 4300
Each core @ 1.8 Ghz,shared 2 Mb L2 cache,800 Mhz FSB
320 GB sata II
Intel graphics media Acelerator 950
15 in 1 Mem. card reader.

Edited by nosmiley, 15 February 2010 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

Do you want to wipe your hard disk first, removing all the partitions (like C: D: and others) and erasing all the data ? Then follow these instructions :

Warning : This would destroy all data on your hard disk.

1. Insert the DVD in your Laptop and boot from it. Here is how.
2. Follow on screen instructions. When asked Which type of installation you want? Choose Custom installation.
3. When you come to screen with choosing the partition on which - Where do you want to install windows ? click on Drive options (advanced) on bottom-right.
4. Select each partition one by one and click Delete, until you are left with Unallocated space only.
5. Select the Unallocated space and click Next to start installation further. Follow onscreen instructions.

This would format all space on your hard disk creating only one partition C:. If you want to create more partitions, you can create them later after Windows is installed.

Edited by Romeo29, 15 February 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Thank you Romeo:
Your information is the type I hoped for. I had read and re-read that link several times before I posted. It was one that talked about never being able to completely remove Windows 7, somewhere in all the reading. But your directions seem to eliminate that concern.
To answer your question if I wanted to completely remove everything, the answer is Yes! I only want what, if anything, is necessary to make the computer function enough to follow directions of the windows 7 installation disk. It was " all the data" that was causing the problems.I removed my desired personal stuff to a flash drive earlier, and haven't reinstalled it.
I liked the 64 bit installation, but most sites still think I don't have Adobe Flash or reader. I tried using the compatibility function, but had no luck as far as sites saying I still needed to download ADOBE . I did download Adobe after the guy installed the mess, and it was successful acording to Adobe, as was their Flash player.
Adobe is "working on it", but doesn't have a fix.They refer me to windows 7, which sends me to the compatibility area. My question to you, is how to fix this. If it can't run on 64 bit or a "fix", should I install windows 7- 32bit on the clean drive?
Also, does your method affect my key number ? Will it still be accepted by MS ?
And one last concern: I get pop-ups telling me to try version 8 of outlook or explorer. Suggestions please? Trying 8 on Vista slowed things to a crawl, so I removed it, from vista.
Thanks again.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

<Adobe Flash Player on 64 bit Windows>
Its not supported by Adobe to run under 64 bit browsers but you can run 32 bit browser and you can install Adobe Flash 32 bit on it. There are two shortcuts for Internet Explorer on 64 bit Windows one is labeled Internet Explorer, it is 32 bit. Other is labeled Internet Explorer (64 bit). Actually Microsoft has created the 32bit version specially for this reason, because they knew not all addons will support 64 bit browser. Other browsers like Opera, Firefox come only in 32 bit version (officially) so you wont have any problem with them. Personally, I use Firefox on Windows 7 as it is much safer than its Microsoft counterpart.

<does your method affect my key number>
The signature edition of Windows 7 can be installed this way wiping out hard disk and key would stay same. Make sure you install Ultimate edition only.

<I get pop-ups telling me to try version 8 of outlook or explorer>
I guess you got them in Vista, as Windows 7 comes with version 8 of Internet Explorer pre-installed. So you wont get any more pop ups. As far as Outlook Express is concerned, the last version (version 6) came with Internet Explorer 6. Microsoft does not offer it anymore. Microsoft has Microsoft Outlook which comes with Microsoft Office which is not free. Microsoft also offers Windows Live Mail which is free and you have to download it in Windows 7. So I guess you are getting pop ups for Internet Explorer 8 in Vista only.

You are welcome to post further questions on BleepingComputer :huh:

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hello Romeo:
Your instructions worked well, and I appreciate the help. I had a few unexpected things happen that need mentioning. After inserting the installation disk, I had to make a guess as the process started. A black screen appeared with " Install with Disk or DVD" at the top left corner.
Beneath it were 1.__ & 2___. Seems simple, but there is no definition for what 1.___ or 2___ is.; so you don't know what to expect when you choose either one. I chose # 1. and it continued on. Following the directions of my choices, I got the screen stating Windows is installing and your computer would restart several times. It installed, and the first time it restarted, the whole process repeated itself ! After going through this second installation, I stopped , removed disk, restarted manually , and began fresh. This time, as the computer went into the first restart, I manually ejected the Disk. It requires good timing, as you have to do it before restart gets very far. That did the trick, and Windows 7 successfully installed and began operation.
I installed manually the Windows updates, as I had no need for 37 additional language installs. Had I selected automatic update, on my computer, it would have downloaded all of them. MS should not have them so they install automatically, if you choose automatic update.
I installed the normal additional programs; Java, Adobe Reader;Adobe Flash player 10 active X, Adobe flash plug in, plus a few more. I ran the Windows 64, for several days, but had problems I wasn't willing to deal with each day.Since you personally use both Internet Explorer, & Firefox, I downloaded Firefox, and went through the additional add ons as best I could. No matter which browser I used, 50-60% of sites would state I needed to install Java, or Adobe. I had already used the compatibility wizard. In the Programs area, it Listed them as Installed.
I removed W 7, 64 bit, and installed 32 bit. Works fine, and plenty fast for me. I can't see appreciable speed difference.
Thanks again. :huh:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Congratulations on installing Windows 7 !
I think you have an OEM modified Windows 7 disk. The original Windows 7 DVD does not have any 1 or 2 option at start, it goes straight into setup.
For present time, the only advantage of 64 bit Windows is that it manages memory better, and you can install more than 4GB RAM on it. On 32 bit Windows the memory limit is 4 GB; more than that Windows won't recognize. Otherwise, as you have noted, there is no significant speed difference.

#7 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thanks again Romeo;
I researched, and found a MS blog where others were asking about the disk, by part number. It's a promotional disk, handed out in a party pack at Windows 7 launch parties. Maybe that had something to do with the attempt to update with 37 languages. I bought it off E-bay from a guy that seemed to have several to sell, possibly 6-8. As mentioned. it came in the black Signature Edition folder, factory sealed. The disk is obviously windows from the various holograms and rainbow effects. The seller didn't mention the promotional part.. It does state: not for resale. The 64 bit disk looks the same except it came in the typical cheap white envelope with the window added. The key was inside the signature folder, and apparently works for both editions.
Thanks again.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Windows Live Mail I think replaced Outlook Express.

#9 joana77

joana77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

My computer is 3 + years old and came with Vista premium installed. Over the years, many files became corrupted because of several factors. Like many others, I had Vista updates from MS fail to install.Some of those that did install, screwed things up. One update ruined the audio for thousands of us.Microsoft India spent 45 minutes repairing that one. Scannow, and other tools won't fix everything anymore.
I got a new, legitimate disk of ultimate 7, signature series, sealed in the black folder etc., and was given a 64 bit promotional disk disk of 7, not for resale. I went to the shop I have used for years and asked for a completely clean install, stating I wanted everything removed first. Was told that installing the 7 would remove everything first . It didn't remove stuff, so I have 7, 64 bit, that's a mess. Running smart defrag, every other entry seems to be "windows old".. D disk still has the exact same amount of remaining space it did with vista. I'm experiencing the jerkiness I had before when scrolling, plus many of the previous problems.
Making matters worse, the Windows "answer and help section" of the program, states that once installed, 7 can't be completely removed, but merely reinstalled over. I haven't registered yet as requested, but the 3 days requirement expired yesterday. I'm not returning to the shop for a fix, since I was deceived.
Still want a completely clean install if possible, and not reinstalled 7 over 7-vista screw up. Please help and be specific or give listed steps.
Diagnostic freeware found only two damaged physical file spots on HD. ,smallest size it measures : sectors?. Other diagnostics found no other problems, with memory, speeds, or temperatures, etc. in computer.Analysing with Ccleaner registry finds 2 pages of listings. DiD NOT correct. only looked at.
Thank you.

Gateway GT 5438
Dual channel 2048 MB DDR2
Dual core 64 bit processor E 4300
Each core @ 1.8 Ghz,shared 2 Mb L2 cache,800 Mhz FSB
320 GB sata II
Intel graphics media Acelerator 950
15 in 1 Mem. card reader.

Hi dear i think that's not software problem but that's hardware first time you format you HDD with windows 98 then you install your OS and do some setting then your system is OK, and if your system have a same problem so i thing your OS is corrupt so update your OS whit microsoft may i hope your problem is solve,

Thanks!!!

joana77

msds authoring software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users