Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

long boot time on and off vista home premium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tracey21

tracey21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

hello,
My wife has a dell /vista home premium and for a year didnt update, well I guess I should have left it alone but I updated about 85 kbs, now I find it take about one and a half minutes for it to fully boot and also to shut down, I notice the task bar flashes erratically and also the screen will blank out several times, also the circle(loading or processing) stays up about one minute after the desktop,and about the same when shutting down,this probably is something I inadverntly have committed. my understanding of computers is maybe midlevel. thanks :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tracey21

tracey21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

amd athlon 64x2 dual core tk-5 1.80ghz,memory ram 2.00 gb,32 bit oper sys,hard drive os c=34.1 gb free of 64.4 gb,recovery 6.09 of 9.99, microsoft security essentials,microsof system firewall(w/system) windows defender. please find the attached autorun.txt file :huh:

Attached Files

Edited by tracey21, 15 February 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Let's disable unnecessary startups and we'll see how it goes...

Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following items:

+ "%PROVIDERID%"
+ "ATICCC"
+ "DellSupportCenter"
+ "ECenter"
+ "ISUSPM Startup"
+ "ISUSScheduler"
+ "Lexmark 6500 Series Fax Server"
+ "lxdfamon"
+ "lxdfmon.exe"
+ "Digital Line Detect.lnk"
+ "Kodak EasyShare software.lnk"
+ "QuickSet.lnk"
+ "DellSupport"

Restart computer.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 tracey21

tracey21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

have unchecked all noted ,used temp clean,shuts down in about 40 second and boots in about 40 seconds, still getting the task bar flashing three or four times after the desktop is up. :huh:

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

40 secs sounds fine to me. I'm not sure about flashing taskbar though....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 tracey21

tracey21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

I wanted to know if windows update lists an update could the update be for the wrong system ie 64 instead of 32?,the reason i ask net framwork3.5/sp1 was one of the last updates i put on the computer,also on one instance the computer powered down on battery and i ended up doing a sys restore that day i think one or both may be the task bar flashing when the screen goes grey(blanlk) :hysterical:also I have interenst in start up repair,I followed the instructions on the site, but upon booting with the installations cd windows vista the computer does not recgonize the cd in the drive,therefore I dont get to the options screen of install, or repair windows. when I start the cd after computer is booted I find only install option. thanks

Edited by tracey21, 16 February 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

64-bit update won't install, or even won't download to 32-bit system.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

have unchecked all noted ,used temp clean,shuts down in about 40 second and boots in about 40 seconds, still getting the task bar flashing three or four times after the desktop is up. :huh:

Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Head to http://www.dell.com, and I would recommend restoring some of those start up items. As they could be needed for On Screen Displays and other keys to function on the keyboard such has media keys and what not.

Here is a recommendation:

Before updating anything via Windows Update, please make sure all your hardware is as updated as possible to avoid possible conflicts.

It is also imperative that you update your virus scanner prior to windows update as well. Some updates and cause issues with virus scanners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users