Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PestPatrol over-reacting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and think this is a great site - especially the tutorials! Only thing is, when I navigate around here I got lots of bleeps from PestPatrol (a real bleeping computer!) and it reports spyware cookies!!
I also have Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard. IE-Spyad, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, ZAPro and AVG - no probs with any of those. Is Pest Patrol over-reacting?!

Otherwise - it's great here. I look forward to being around.

Luci2a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:05 AM

Hi Luci2a,
Welcome aboard & thanks for the compliments. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what to tell you about Pest Patrol since I don't use it. But I am told that it is notorious for false positives. Mostly, tho, as I understand it, this is because PP is very general in its definitions, flagging items that might possibly be a threat instead of saying yes this is a threat and needs to be fixed. Long story short, I can't verify that what you're experiencing is absolutely a false positive, but that would be my guess. The admins would have to address that. Or it could have something to do with the ads on every page--they might keep track as far as taking key words from the page to taylor the ads on that subject--the sponsored links kind of thing that Google does. Since this is a new site there could be some kind of glitch that needs to be corrected--but as far as I know we don't use cookies that track your usage of the site other than what is normal.

I'll do some experimenting tho to see what I can come up with. Thanks for letting us know. :flowers:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Papakid! I'll await that with interest. It probably is the ads - PestPatrol was at the top of the page when I read your reply!
I had PestPatrol for a couple of years before getting all the others. I probably won't renew PestPatrol now as the others seem less likely to give false positives.

Luci2a

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:27 PM

Hi again luci2a,
I just ran AdAware after having only visited BC with Internet Explorer & it came up with 0 tracking cookies. That's more trustworthy to me than PP.

I'm pretty sure the admins have done some tinkering with how the Google ads work. So maybe PP sees this as unusual. Do you not have a way to put BC on an ignore list or otherwise configure it so that it's not bleeping at you all the time?

BTW, if you use it just as an anti-trojan, PP is OK. But when it expires I would look into getting a dedicated anti-trojan. The two best, although they aren't freeware, are TDS-3 and TrojanHunter. They both claim to be able to clean process-injecting trojans and, according to what I've read, TrojanHunter is the easiest to use. It's what I run. They are both shareware, so you can try before you buy and there are some others out there that may be just as good.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for that Papakid. Ad-aware is clear when I run it too, which is why I thought they were probably false positives from PP.
Maybe I shouldn't put this down in black and white, but the nice guys in PP have not asked for a renewal for quite some time! :thumbsup: When they do I will give your suggestions a go - thanks very much.
Meanwhile, I'll fiddle around with PP and see if I can get it to keep quiet!

Thanks again

Luci2a

#6 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:26 AM

Running Pest Patrol with no reactions to this siite.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

The only cookies this site may leave are your session cookies so that the various pages in the site can recognize the same user and for the google ads. None of these should cause Pest Patrol to report a problem.

#8 luci2a

luci2a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone! I am getting fed up with false positives from PP - it keeps reporting CWSGoogleMS3, which I don't have.(Spybot S&D and Ad-aware all clear, and I have run CWShredder) I think it is just reading the entry in the SpywareBlaster restricted sites list. If I delete it, the xxxToolbar entry in Spyware Blaster unchecks itself. Grrrr..... :thumbsup:
To think it costs money to get this anxious....

Thanks all

Luci2a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users