Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set up a wireless home network?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 westsideg

westsideg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

Yo all,

hoping you could give me some help...

I currently have a three year old desktop running windows xp. This is connected to the internet via an ADSL filter at the phone socket, a 15m RJ11 wire and then a USB ADSL modem at the PC.

We want to buy a new laptop (will probably be Windows 7 now) and run it off the same internet connection.

So my questions are:

1. What hardware do I need to buy? (In addition to the laptop of course!)
2. Am I likely to notice any deterioration in internet performance (bearing in mind my 8Mbps is slowed down a bit already with the long wire).
3. Are there likely to be any conflicts with the different operating systems? - and if so would I be better off trying to get a new laptop that runs xp (if that's possible?)
3. How do I make it 'secure' I.E. stopping people from stealing my signal like this:

Thanks peeps :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

1. What hardware do I need to buy? (In addition to the laptop of course!) - A Wireless router. If you are buying the laptop locally buy the router at the same time. Making sure the laptop and router use the same band. Most new laptops and routers use N so it won't be a big deal. Questions about the modem and old PC - What is the make and model of the modem? Does it have Ethernet connections? Does the 3 y/o PC have a network interface card(NIC)?

2. Am I likely to notice any deterioration in internet performance (bearing in mind my 8Mbps is slowed down a bit already with the long wire). When you get the router you should be able to move the modem closer to the phone jack and just use a long Ethernet cable to the PC. The laptop will be wireless.

3. Are there likely to be any conflicts with the different operating systems? - and if so would I be better off trying to get a new laptop that runs xp (if that's possible?) Conflicts as far as surfing the net - No. If you want to share files and things - people have run into issues but they are fairly easy to solve. You can just ask here at Bleeping and we'll help with anything we can. I know you probably love XP but that desktop is 3 y/o, you'll be looking at replacing it soon and it'll come with Win7 or whatever new OS.

3. How do I make it 'secure' I.E. stopping people from stealing my signal like this:
LMAO that's a great vid. If you set up the newest wireless security which is WPA2 with a great pass phrase you'll have very little to worry about. XP with SP3, Win7 and the newest routers all are WPA2 compatible so no worries there.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

Cheers Cave Dweller.

The existing modem is a Thomson Speed touch 330 and you can only plug an rj11 wire into it.

The existing pc does have a network socket on the back - I'm assuming this is a network interface card?

As for the router, would this kind of thing suffice? If it helps, I would probably be going for a dell laptop.

and is the WPA2 security free or would I need to pay for it separately?

Thanks matey :thumbsup:

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

OMG you have the upgrade from the Stingray!! I still have mine. I couldn't part with it.

Bad news is that modem of yours only has USB. Can you talk to your ISP about getting a new modem? They should upgrade you for free if you raise enough of a stink. Tell them you go an offer from another ISP if they can't upgrade ya. Be polite but firm, if the person you are talking to won't do it ask to speak to a supervisor. It could be that the modem they upgrade you to will be a modem/wireless router all in one.

The router you linked will not work with the modem you currently have. If the upgrade they offer isn't a wireless router also it will work. But you won't need the bundled adapter unless you want to connect it to your desktop.

If the network socket looks like a phone jack only larger then it is a NIC.

WPA is built into new routers and OSs. So it'll be part of the equipment you have or will buy.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Ah yeah I was thinking of having a word with my ISP! Worth a go anyway!

You've certainly cleared everything up - thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#6 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

Didn't have much luck with the ISP, so may just bite the bullet and buy it.

I've been advised to get this router and modem all in.

I've also found a good couple of laptops on the dell outlet site...going really cheap for the spec, but they use 802.11g.

If you are buying the laptop locally buy the router at the same time. Making sure the laptop and router use the same band. Most new laptops and routers use N so it won't be a big deal.

So is the 'g' band backwards compatible with the 'n' band? Or will it affect the laptop's internet performance dramatically?

Cheers :thumbsup:

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

N is newer than G. I haven't looked but I'm fairly sure that modem/router will have a setting for both bands.

You'll want to make sure that will work with your ISP. Some are rather snotty about the equipment you can use. So you might have to ask or see if they have a list on their website. No point buying it if you can't use it.

#8 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

Brilliant, thanks for all your help matey :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users