Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Job Corps Experiance (and a stolen IBM)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

So im 18 years old, Pretty good at using ans servicing computers, so i decided to come to Job Corps. to get my A+ and my Diploma.

Well i decided to use some logic before i left, I took the IBM as opposed to my Acer, Or either of my handbuilt machines. I got the IBM for 50 dollars a couple of years ago, Put XP on it, and called it good. No harm no foul is lost broken or otherwise. Or so i thought.

I kept it in my backpack at all times, Never took it out except to type, And one day in my Computer Tech class, My backpack disappered. I found it a couple hours later in the mens restroom, Sans IBM.

This is friday, Everyone is going home. I figure my computer is a good as gone. So i accept that, and declare it as a loss. File a basic police report just for gits and shiggles.

Well monday comes, I get a call from the main office, They have my computer, And they are doing an investigation as to what happened to it. so when they finally give me a name as to who had it, I will be pressing charges on robbery.

Well now the old saying is true, There is a lining to every cloud, The IBM didnt have a hard drive in it!!
So even on turn on, POST would shut it down because there wasent a hard drive.

Well hope for the best as the office still has my computer, and the case is still pending.

-Schwinny.
::'00 Thinkpad:::'09 Aspire One:::'07 WL1:::'10 SS2::

If its got two B's its for me. BlackBerry for ever.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

--White Lightning 1 & The Silver Surfer 2-- Anybody for TF2???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

if its missing the hard drive it means they wernt after the computer-they were after the information on it. So they probably grabbed the hard drive out of it and dumped it. If you had anything on that computer that could be used to steal your identity, I would recomend cancelling all your credit cards and such and getting new ones and perhaps getting your self a credit report as well. though hopefully theyll catch the booger.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

No no no, Youve got it wrong, I took out the hard drive.

I had it out to install 7 on a buddys HD.

And i just never put it back in, My hard drive is sitting on my desk next to me right now. :D

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

so the hard drive wasnt in it when they stole it? lucky you. hopefully theyll find the culprit. sometimes people steal stuff just to steal stuff, theyre jerks that way. I had a bicycle once that got stolen twice. it was a older bike, not the greatest of shape, I had left it in front of my college dorm because it was broke (the front tire was completly off the bike, and I mean completly off of it) so I just left it on the bike rack. someone stole it, moved it down 2-3 blocks and left it. by the time I called the cops to report it, they had already picked it up and had it in the impound lot. Second time, I left it in the back of my pickup truck which was broke down by my appartment, someone moved it out of there and left it in the back lot for awhile (I didnt realize it because the truck was broke down and I had forgotten the bike was back there) my wife saw it back there but didnt say anything (???) for several days when she did I went out to get it and boom it was gone. filed another police report, this time it never did show back up.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

If you will take quick note of my name.

I have had my fair share of bicycles stolen.

the most costly one (and painful) was my 74 Grey Ghost.

Man, this thing was mint, stik worked well, and one summer day, on my way to the store for smokes, I figured lets take the ghost out...Bad idea.

I parked it in front of the waterfront store, And bought my marlboro 100's and my 20oz pepsi, and was on my way. But my ghost was not.

I called the police, and filed a report, so on and so forth, so im bummed now, i was walking along, and i see the distinct tire tracks of a old school stingray.... Right into the river.

I called the police, They came down and told me to go get it. :thumbsup:

so i called my favorite scrap metal dealer. He brought out his favorite water salvage magnet.

I have my ghost now, but it dosent shift right anymore.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

mine was nowhere near that nice. it was an ol Pueget (spelling) looked like crap, road like a charm though I loved that bike. stupid thieves. the stupidest one was though I had a 89 honda accord hatchback, the locks didnt work in it so i never locked it, had a 200 dollar stereo in the front and a pair of cheap 20 dollar walmart subs in the back that were duct taped together, the thieves stole the subs left the CD player. go figure.

picard5.jpg

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I remember the Peugeot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycles_Peugeot
I had a Fuji S-10S about the same time
took that thing on a whole lot of trips
I think I finally got the weight down to 17 pounds and that was with front and rear carriers and handlebar bag
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

mine was nowhere near that nice. it was an ol Pueget (spelling) looked like crap, road like a charm though I loved that bike. stupid thieves. the stupidest one was though I had a 89 honda accord hatchback, the locks didnt work in it so i never locked it, had a 200 dollar stereo in the front and a pair of cheap 20 dollar walmart subs in the back that were duct taped together, the thieves stole the subs left the CD player. go figure.

haha, Now mines the exact oppisite.

I have a 1987 Firebird. with 300 dollar subs (Alpine Type R 12's), and a 50 dollar radio.

If someone stole my subs, big deal...

If someone stole my radio... Not such a big deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users