Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection via dial-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Greetings: A relative has enlisted my help. She wants to have wireless connectivity for her laptop and her internet access will be thru dial-up (maybe NetZero?) over her Comcast phone cable. The pc laptop is her only computer. Is there a particular router she should buy? She wants to keep the price for internet access as low as possible therefor creating a Comcast bundle is not an option because the internet add-on would be $40 or so, compared with the dial-up of $10. Thanks for your comments.
Gene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

This might do what you are looking to do. But a reviewer said it wouldn't work with digital phone, which is what Comcast is.

The only other thing I can think of would be to find a router with a dial up back up. Like this. And just use the dial up connection. But they might be more expensive and a little harder to find. The one I linked is just an example. I'm not saying buy it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I read the same comment you did as to the AlwaysOn not working with a digital phone (Comcast). I have tried on several occasions asking NETZERO customer service as to what, if any, router they would recommend but so far they have been non-responsive.
I think I will just hard-wire the connection to get things up and running and maybe she will find the wireless is not something she really needs. Especially if going wireless would necessitate a switch to broadband.
Really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Gene

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

I'm not saying it won't work. I'm just saying I doubt you'll be able to walk into Best buy or the like and find what you are looking for. They are out there, wireless routers that will connect a dial up connection. Just gotta look for them.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users