Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home won't boot all the way up, and Safe Mode is dead.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CSpeer3

CSpeer3

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hi All -

As the topic title says, a few days ago, my laptop running XP Home encountered a fatal system error and refused to boot all the way up. It would start, then boot past the screen that gives the "Hit ESC" and "Hit F10" keys, but when it tried to move past that stage, it kicked into the 'Choose safe mode' screen. I did choose safe mode, and it just restarted. I tried it again and chose 'Last known good configuration.' Ditto. And I tried every other option I knew - ditto.

Neither my wife nor I could find the boot disks, so we borrowed a friend's XP Pro disks. I installed it, and now I have access to our docs and stuff, and I went back in and ran SpyBot - which cleaned up a bunch of gunk, but didn't fix the problem. We don't download much or fileshare, and the only thing I can think that may have caused a virus or malware problem is our recent habit of watching sitcoms on TVShack.net. But that seems unlikely to me.

Now that I have XP Pro on there, I have access to most of the old files and programs, but currently - for some reason - XP Pro refuses to recognize bunch of hardware on the computer like our soundcard, wireless card, etc. Also, many of the old programs that were accessible under Home are no longer working. Is it a service pack thing? The disc only had service pack 1 on it.

Anyway, that's my current situation. Ideally, I'd like to fix XP Home, then uninstall XP Pro. I have another incredibly slow laptop, so I do have internet access. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it!

Chris

Edited by CSpeer3, 15 February 2010 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

By installing XP Pro you opened up a can of worms for yourself
Doesn't your laptop have a recovery partition?
What is the make and model number of the unit?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Personally I think you are better off with Pro. The inoperable programs are likely due to having service pack 1. As for the sound card and other drivers, you will need to obtain those either from the manufacturer of the pc or the cards. This is not an unusual process.

Edit: I would also recommend you download, update and choose a quick scan with Malwarebytes. Actually there was no mention of whether or not he had the key code. I had to re-read to make sure I didn't miss something myself which also happens. If he doesn't then I would obviously agree he is not better off.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Edited by joelj1964, 15 February 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

The OP is not "better off" with an installed O/S for which he has no valid license :thumbsup:.

Unless I've missed something (which happens frequently).

Louis

#5 CSpeer3

CSpeer3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The unit is a Compaq Presario V5015US. I'm not sure if it has a restoration partition on it, but when I try to run Windows Recovery, I just get a blinking cursor on a black screen...seemingly forever.

The drivers I can manage. But like I mentioned, I'd prefer to go back to Home...even though Pro is running really damn fast. Probably because it's so stripped down at the moment, though.

I have Malwarebytes, but when I try to run it out of Pro, I get a runtime error. "Run-time error O".

I'll try hooking it up directly to our DSL modem and downloading a new copy.

I'm still looking for the original boot cds too, and assuming I find them, I can run recovery off those, correct?

Edit - Reading the pinned thread at the top on SP3, the AMD (nonIntel) issue sounds very similar to what I was facing. Endless reboots. I don't recall updating to SP3, however.

Edited by CSpeer3, 15 February 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

The black screen/blinking cursor in left upper corner...may indicate a damaged mbr.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

If so, then I would try running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Louis

#7 CSpeer3

CSpeer3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Louis.

Tried, and the CD I created worked fine in my Gateway latptop, but when I tried it in the Compaq, I got the blinking cursor again. I had the boot order set to CD first. I'll try it again a few more times, and try to launch recovery console directly again, but no luck so far.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users