Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSIEXEC.EXE trouble

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shelly89

shelly89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hello. I am running Windows XP home edition a lovely computer that never gave me a bit of trouble until two days ago. I happen to check Ctrl-alt-delete quite often and know for sure that this msiexec.exe never showed up on a regular basis... until now. I bet it's something bad. It came with my troubles. My computer constantly runs at 100% now and has all kinds of quirky things going on. In order to logon to windows, we have to hit ctrl-alt-delete to get in instead of clicking our icon and typing in our pasword. That is the first strange and annoying thing. We cannot cut and paste things. We cannot drag things on the desktop. the firefox browser is very quirky, I have to click out of it and away from it and back into it in order to be able to do anything in it, from typing to clicking on a link to scrolling on the sidebar, can't do anything unless I click away from it first, then back into it. Computer just suddenly started acting this way. I use this computer for work from home about 16 hours a day, I am intimately involved with this computer and it works great for me all the time. (You know what I mean.) My first action was to run two virus scans. Then I tried to revert to a system restore point to a point about a week ago. That didn't help matters. My second action was to do a windows restore. It took about 5 hours, wiped my ethernet driver, caused lots of headaches, but didn't fix the basic problems that I had in the first place. That was when I finally noticed that this msiexec.exe was running nonstop in the ctrl-alt-del and sometimes running two or three at a time, and as soon as I end it, it pops back up. Windows asked me if it could install 63 updates at one point, and then again, and again. I have never remembered having to do that before.

I have searched for where the msiexec.exe is located on my computer. Unfortunately, I cannot cut and paste what the results were, I will have to type it out: so far it found six. I stopped the search, but it is still running even though I clicked stop.

C:\WINDOWS\$MS131UNINSTALL_KB893803V2$
C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE
C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD\9866FB57ABDC0EA2F5D4E132D055BA4E
C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD\AD9C4C2A779933F83B51A49A2C88838D

For security, I have the CA security suite because that is what comes with roadrunner. For internet, I have roadrunner (Timewarner) broad band. I have disabled the firewall on my CA because it wasn't allowing something through that I needed to do for work and was using the windows firewall instead.

Thanks, hope that is the basic info that you need. I could give you the specs on the computer, but it takes so long to get anything on this computer right now and I don't see how that will help in this situation.

Edited by Pandy, 15 February 2010 - 02:06 PM.
Moved from Windows XP Home and Pro ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users