Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CLOCK

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zz4

zz4

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

I had a computer RESTORED to original factory by disc's that came with computer.

Compaq laptop. XP SP2

Excuse my simple question. I'd expect if you paid somebody else to do something most everything should come back aok.

I boot up and get a black screen with ERROR:0251 System CMOS checksum bad-Default Configuration used....

Option of F1 to enter Windows or F10 to go to BIOS.

Prior to ERROR theres some mention of 'time"? I only get this once per session. Inotherwards I'm using this computer now and will re-boot 500 times and will not see it. I put computer away and next session(tomorrow?) there the error message will be.

ok--I notice my clock on desktop is off. It went back to some date in 2000. Easy to correct.

In BIOS theres 2 times that will be 'off'...off time.... THE TOP ONE SEEMS TO CLICK BY THE SECOND and bottom is month/day/year.

I correct these to right date and approx. minute/seconds.

==BUT YET IT SEEMS NOT TO STICK...Tomorrow it will be back to default year 2000.(if thats default)

Something simple here I'm missing?

I'm sure people play with clocks. I'm new.

Clock off some programs go 'crazy".....

I hope I'm just missing something. Enough problems without every time you bring out computer clock on desktop and bios needs changing to 2005.

Edited by zz4, 03 September 2005 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:54 PM

Some computers have a battery for the bios, tho less common. But those computers that do can display this kind of symptom. Check with Compaq to see if this computer has a battery and if it is something you can replace.

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

Some computers have a battery for the bios, tho less common. But those computers that do can display this kind of symptom. Check with Compaq to see if this computer has a battery and if it is something you can replace.

Coreection, all computers have a CMOS battery, some are easy to change (held on by a small metal clip) and others require a tech (soldered on).

Cmos battery replacement tutorial

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:07 AM

I borrowed this from another web site, I hope Karlsweldt doesn't mind my sharing his wealth of knowledge.

"If there is no flat "coin" battery holder, there may be a very small stand-up battery soldered to the mobo. Or a rectangular chip which reads "Dallas Real Time" on the top.. or perhaps next to the keyboard socket, there is a red or blue item which looks like a capacitor, but has the end connectors as tabs, not leads. Should be marked as "+" and "-"."

There are a couple more, but that pretty well covers them. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:01 AM

o-----my patience is being tried....

(this computer)

ok---I have noted often that error message means battery on motherboard is getting low.

I've lost 5 minutes on clock in last few hours.

I'm told---HURRY !!!!! Save all the complex info in bios?

With difficulty I went to BIOS again. (F1 seemed not to want to do anything..F10 eventually did)

I do not see anything in there.

PHOENIX BIOS SETUP UTILITY

MAIN SECTION-BOOT SECTION

MAIN SECTION:-SYSTEM TIME
SYSTEM DATE
SUPERVISOR PASSWORD IS
SET SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
PASSWORD ON BOOT

PXE FUNCTION
PARALLEL PORT:
MODE
BASE I/O ADDRESS
DMA CHANNEL

BOOT SECTION:-FLOPPY DISKETTE DRIVE
ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE
HARD DRIVE
NETWORK BOOT

Where o where...am I missing something?

If battery fails there is no bios info anywhere?

This is Compaq Presario 700us. Old but Windows XP from factory.

Maybe batteries are getting cheaper? My old Packard Bell's ages old still have battery.

I have no idea how to even look at motherboard in this laptop.

I'll try to snoop Compaq site for a few days. Anything about battery is always about laptop battery.

Thats why I'm beginning to steam. Ever been to a auto garage and find every time you leave another problem?

HELP? Somebody out there with a Compaq laptop?

All seems to work aok after FACTORY RESTORE. I took 2 years (felt like it) re-loading programs. I notice error notices from things like anti-virus/spyware and notice my clock on desktop is off. Its back to 2000. Adjust it. Does not stick. Go to BIOS and its off there.

#6 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:54 AM

In my BIOS all I see on top tabs are MAIN SECTION and BOOT SECTION

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...&dlc=en&lang=en

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:16 AM

MAIN SECTION:-SYSTEM TIME
SYSTEM DATE
SUPERVISOR PASSWORD IS
SET SUPERVISOR PASSWORD
PASSWORD ON BOOT

I'm not familiar with you BIOS, but it would seem that choosing on the main section would be the place to reset the clock, and when you go to exit there should be something that says something like save changes...use it and exit and see if this helps.

Oh yeah...get a paper bag and breath into it for a couple of minutes or until you quit hyperventilating.[B]

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:29 AM

You know of course that you shouldn't be ranting on about this here, you should be chewing on the ear of the person who is responsible for this "repair".

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:48 AM

Hi zz4

After looking arount the HP/Compaq site I found:

HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Notebook PCs - The Computer Is Losing Time

The last step in that troubleshooter talks about flashing the Bios. You want to be careful if you try that.

My full Search results:

Search results

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

I composed 2 posts that were LONG and posts vanished and got knocked back to another page.

question:cmos motherboard battery fails does computer boot up...does it loose all BIOS info?

As far as I seem to be learning the battery gets used when unit is OFF.

#11 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

http://www.geocities.com/hpmsgs/700xx/

So easy.....

I look at memory-ram and modem and looks like I'd destroy computer just changing them.

Tiny tiny tiny brittle plastic stuff.

Last time I carefully added memory to a laptop the plastic hold down clips went 'snap'. broken --brittle plastic....

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

question:cmos motherboard battery fails does computer boot up...does it loose all BIOS info?

No but you might have to wait for an hour so for it to boot. If you don't feel comfortable changing the battery then take it to the shop.

Did you try "Disabling Advanced Power Management (APM)" and "Removing and reinstalling Realtime clock" from that link in my earlier post? Do that first, it might work.

Edited by Leurgy, 04 September 2005 - 07:57 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

--- just conclusion of story--for now....

Took laptop to a 'shop'. They had difficulty finding battery. Have to take whole laptop apart.

The battery 'CMOS' was stone DEAD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users