If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs
to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected
". Some flash drives have a switch on the side which could have accidentally been moved to write protect.
If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.
Please download RSIT
by random/random and save it to your Desktop.Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
- Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
- Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
- If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
- Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
- Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
- When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
- Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable
to get DDS to run. If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.