Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Carrion

Carrion

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

Well. I'll try to explain my problem. I run Windows XP on my computer, 512 ram, 2 ghz. Since a time ago my computer starts to screw itself up. Everything started one day when I turned my computer on. It said it couldn't find C:/. Everything on that hard drive had dissappeared. I formatted the computer and now all the problems started. I'll say a few of them.

When I want to change user, if I click on "close session" the screen turns black. I have to press "change user" Sometimes, the hard drive starts to make strange noises. Like "tick tick tick" Well, maybe a bit hard to describe ;p. And when that happends, my cpu freezes. Sometimes my mouse starts to lag. You know, it freezes like every 3 seconds for half second. Very annoying. In my process tab, there is one thing called "systemets všnteprocess" in swedish, I think it's something like "system waiting process" In the tab "memory use" it's only 20 kb, but then in the other tab, CPU its number is always over 90. Don't think it's normal.

Well, I have kaspersky AV and Zonealarm FW and Ad-aware. I've scanned all my computer several times but nothing. I check my processes running on my cpu and nothing strange (i've googled every single one) I check the autoruns, but nothing strange. So I think, the only solution is: Format. I've formatted my cpu like 4 times but it doesn't help. And when I format, there is something strange. It takes like 6 hours to format the C hard drive! And I'm not exaggerating.

I don't know what the problem is. Could it be my hard drive that is screwed up, and I need one new? I've been trying to find solution for it for like 1 month, but nothing. I hope that someone here can help me!

Thanks in advance
Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:34 PM

Sounds like hard drive, clicking noise is generally a bad sign. Try Belarc Advisor, free for personal use, and it can give you S.M.A.R.T. info on the health of your hard drive.

In the interim, try to back up any important files.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

#3 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:02 PM

Maxtor 6Y120P0 [Hard drive] (122,94 GB) SMART Status: Healthy
ST380021A [Hard drive] (80,03 GB) SMART Status: Healthy

Both seems to be healthy. Pretty much information came out from that check is there something else I should check?

Thanks in advance
Robin

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:43 AM

Hi Carrion...Maxtor has a test called Power Max that you can download to a floppy disk and then use, run the long version and let us know what you find.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...s&downloadID=22

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:57 AM

This might help:

Hard Disk Drive Knowledge Base - Noises that indicate a defective drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Carrion

Carrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:12 AM

Thank you all for your help! And thx Leurgy. I found one of "my" noises on that page. My father came home today with a new 200gb harddrive. Hope that will help now ^^ When the harddrive is installed and all, I'll tell the result. If it helped, or not.
One more time, thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Kind Regards, Robin

Edited by Carrion, 04 September 2005 - 07:12 AM.

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:17 AM

It sure does sound like a bad HDD. especially when i found out it was a maxtor! lol.JK. i will give you the link for the ISO version of the utility, try to stay away from floppies, they are hateful creatures, also make sure you read the readme on the bottom of the page, it tells you about certain hardware configurations that may give you inaccuracys in your test.

"Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded, or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 3, Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT 800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate system, or controller for diagnosis. Please check the PowerMax download page periodically for updates. Beginning March 1st 2005 all versions of PowerMax prior to v 4.21 will no longer be supported. Maxtor recommends that you update to version 4.21 before testing your hard disk."

here is the link directly to the file...

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...&downloadID=113
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users