Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files with no extensions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deango

deango

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hello. I unhid the 'Protected' op system files on my computer running WinXP.
(Explorer\Folder Options\View\ Unchecked 'Protected OP System Files'.
I did this because I wanted to run a comprehensive scan with EWIDO spyware/Trojan Remover.
When I did this, two icons appeared on my Desktop that had no extensions. I couldn't delete, rename, or add an extension to get rid of them. I don't recognize the Icon but Properties says they are both '0' bytes. Is there some way I can follow the path to the registry and remove them?
Thanks. deango

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

Right click on the icon, select properties and find target. then delete.Just reread: you tried that. One thing I have found helpful is ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com. The program has an issues tab that will remove a lot of dead end garbage.

Edited by gunner, 04 September 2005 - 01:37 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

(ExplorerFolder OptionsView Unchecked 'Protected OP System Files'.
I did this because I wanted to run a comprehensive scan with EWIDO spyware/Trojan Remover

Malware has the ability to hide itself as a Protected File so you "unhid" it. Run Ewido and see if things improve.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 deango

deango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hi. I have run EWIDO again and downloaded cccleaner and run that. Nothing changes.
When I did a 'search' for the 'Have a nice day' file with no extension. it came up as an entry in a folder called 'Recycler' on both my hard drives and in both primary and logical extensions.
It will not delete from the folder tree on either drive.
It has a great long numbers like this;
S-1-5-21-1482476501-515967899-682003330-1004
I can't even copy it using 'edit' 'select all' and 'copy'.
Any more thoughts on this? Thank for taking the time. deango

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:46 PM

The Trip posted about Recycler in our Tips and Tricks Forum. Have a look at Clear up alot of space (3.5 gigs for me), Delete Nprotect files. That will let you know what your dealing with.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users