Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JoE Cardenas

JoE Cardenas

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

So I just moved my computer from one room to another and for some reason it started freezing all the time. There was nothing new about the set up or peripherals, just a new room! I have a computer that is about 3 years old. It's an HP and it runs Windows XP.

It would often freeze very near the startup and would freeze all the time if I tried starting up itunes. so i ran all the anit-virus and spyware programs I could during safe mode. (I had malware bytes, advance systemcare, ad aware, and spybot running. I even cleaned up with ccleaner and cleaned the reg). It made things a little better but kept freezing. I went to BIOS and made sure everything was at their default settings(don't think it did anything really). I even tried a system restore but it kept failing. So I decided to reformat it and everything seemed fine at first.

BUT i noticed that it was slowing down a lot when trying to run certain setups and windows commands such as: add/remove programs and trying to delete large files. And then it started freezing again. It even froze while i was trying to install the driver for my tablet which i use as my mouse so now i get a bunch of error messages on startup and the cursor is stuck at the upper left screen. It's my only mouse so i have to reformat...again. So it doesn't seem like it's a software issue. I don't know much about BIOS, memory or hardware stuff. Can somebody please help?!?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

It sounds like a hardware issue but you can try this and see if it helps. Start > run . type cmd. On the command line prompt type chkdsk /r (Note: there is a space between the letter k and the forward slash). Press enter. You will receive a message that the volume is in use and chkdsk cannot be performed and asked to type y or n to schedule a scan upon re-boot. Type y of course then press enter. Type exit then press enter. Restart your computer and allow the scan to run. After completion run a quality defragmenting program such as Diskeeper, Defragler or Ultimate Defrag. You can google any of these to find a download site.

Good luck!!

#3 JoE Cardenas

JoE Cardenas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

i reformated for the second time and for some reason a bunch of old files/programs i had not seen in probably over a year showed up on my desktop...random.

anyways. the scan took a realllly long time and after it was done I tried running defraggler and it froze up while analyzing :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi Joe; I would like to know if you are reformatting using the Windows cd or if you are removing the hdd and using another computer? If using the windows cd, are you deleting all partitions at the prompt? Finally, did you run the chkdsk /r I previously recommended? Thanks, Joel

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

I'd run a manufacturer's diagnostic (long test) on the hard drive...although that doesn't seem likely to explain reappearance of old files.

What steps did you take to reformat...and what medium (XP CD, HP restore/recovery CD, etc.) did you use?

Louis

#6 thebeerdrain

thebeerdrain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have sufered many freeze ups and found this forum via GOOGLE and found a page about random freeze up and followed the advise of a guy called AKLAN that it could be a heat problem caused by dirt and dust inside the case. What a brilliant piece of advise. Already being in possesion of an anti static wrist harness i followed the advise given. using a brush and compressed air from a homemade compresser and the trusty old vacum suction via a suction reduction chamber also home made i have had no more trouble!!!! Below is pasted the links to the page i found. TC PCDUMMY

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75858/pc-freezes-randomly/

#7 JoE Cardenas

JoE Cardenas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

yeah, i did the chkdsk /r scan and it took a really long time and continued to freeze. I decided to use degraggler in safe mode. I left it on over night and it's been still working! it's only defragged 6%

i think i used HP restore. I don't have any cds so it's all within the computer.

#8 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi Joe; Please tell me what model Hp you have and your specs.. ram, processor, hdd size and amount of free space remaining. The number of processes and percentage of cpu's would be helpful as well. Thanks Joel

edit: After you used hp recovery did you run the recovery clean-up tool?

Edited by joelj1964, 15 February 2010 - 03:47 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

No, I didn't mean to run chkdsk /r.

Most hard drive manufacturers have utilities which can be used to check the status of a hard drive. The fact that chkdsk had problems during its operation...mandates a hard drive diagnostic even more, IMO.

Take a look inside the case and see who made the hard drive and write down the model number.

Louis

#10 JoE Cardenas

JoE Cardenas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

@ thebeerdrain - thanks for the link. there was a lot of dust and dust bunnies in my computer and I did everything in the list but the computer still froze.

@Hamluis - i know you didn't mean chkdsk /r. that was a response to joel's post. i reread what i posted and meant to say that the scan went all the way through. But after the scan was completed it continued to freeze. i ran pc-doctor...a program that came with windows and scanned for hard driver/ memory stuff. not sure if that's what you meant but that still didn't work.

@joelj1964

Hp Pavilion
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4600+
1.80 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM

207 GB hdd. 28% free space.

i'm not sure what the recovery clean-up tool is...i tried running things after reformatting but the computer keeps freezing. number of procceses shouldn't be too high, i had a start-up app that would allow only a minimal amount of programs to start up. so the CPU's % was always low. but right now, the number of processes is 54 and the CPU usage is averaging 3%

#11 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hi Joe: Sorry it took so long to respond. Although the percentage of CPU's does not appear to be exceeding a normal level, it is my opinion you have way too many processes running (54). Additionally, 28% free space is not nearly enough. This is likely the problem with your inability to defrag and run check disk. I would recommend removing some of the data or, alternatively, adding a drive, (internal or external doesn't matter).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users