Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Soft infested, it's ugly. Help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noseguy

noseguy

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

My laptop became infected with Antivirus Soft today, I was using firefox.. It effectively rendered my system (xp) useless, error messages saying application is infected and prompting me to dl their fix.
I tried running malwarebytes anti-malware (I had to download the program from another computer, copy it to a usb flash drive, then run my laptop in safe mode).
After I set it up on the inffected laptop, it gave me an error while installing message. I ran a scan, and it showed zero infections. I am somewhat familiar with using hiJackthis,
combofix and other programs, but not enough to know the exact things to fix after running their scans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As stated, I am unable to open any program on the laptop unless in safe mode, and it currently will not connect to the internet in safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MuggyFresh

MuggyFresh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:14 AM

I use to have that too and I've dealt with it a few times...so maybe I can try to help you.

This method has seemed to work for me in the past and just recently on a friend's laptop. I am not 100% positive it will fix your issue.

First download Rkill here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe Just click on the rkill.exe to open a black box window (like when using 'run') that will shortly close after completion.

After that go into Program Files and look for the folder named whatever the infected software is called and delete it. Also check Add and Remove programs to see if it's there too.

When that is done you can either try MBAM again and if it still doesn't work then try to download hitman 3 here: http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000...4-10895604.html
simply install and update then scan.

It should find the issues and get rid of them and afterward will ask for a reboot. Do the reboot and the problems should be gone. Or at least to the point where you can scan with MBAM and fix it. Also you might want to try CCleaner for the registry. Don't forget to set a system restore point too.

This worked for me and hopefully will for you. Good luck if you happen to try it!
:thumbsup:

#3 noseguy

noseguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Tried, Malwarebytes still shows nothing, and Hitman requires internet connection, which I am unable to access.

I use to have that too and I've dealt with it a few times...so maybe I can try to help you.

This method has seemed to work for me in the past and just recently on a friend's laptop. I am not 100% positive it will fix your issue.

First download Rkill here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe Just click on the rkill.exe to open a black box window (like when using 'run') that will shortly close after completion.

After that go into Program Files and look for the folder named whatever the infected software is called and delete it. Also check Add and Remove programs to see if it's there too.

When that is done you can either try MBAM again and if it still doesn't work then try to download hitman 3 here: http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000...4-10895604.html
simply install and update then scan.

It should find the issues and get rid of them and afterward will ask for a reboot. Do the reboot and the problems should be gone. Or at least to the point where you can scan with MBAM and fix it. Also you might want to try CCleaner for the registry. Don't forget to set a system restore point too.

This worked for me and hopefully will for you. Good luck if you happen to try it!
:thumbsup:

#4 noseguy

noseguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

Never mind, I found the fix, thanks all the same!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users