Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing after a update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Now that my PC is back to normal it's time to repair my daughters. She says it started after an XP update. It is an HP Pavillion Slimline s7600n. Running a XP Media Centre Edition, OEM from HP. After this update it just loops on startup. I get the option to start the Media Centre Edition or Windows professional which I inadvertently installed while trying to do a repair. If I choose the media Centre Edition I get we apologize.......start windows in safemode........normally. I choose safe or any other option & it just goes back to this screen. If I choose the Windows Professional it will load into it. I believe all her files are still there as well as that Windows installation but somehow the startup is screwed. Any ideas? Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

Microsoft Security Response Center writes:

I am writing to let you know that we are aware that after installing the February security updates a limited number of users are experiencing issues restarting their computers. Our initial analysis suggests that the issue occurs after installing MS10-015 (KB977165). However, we have not confirmed that the issue is specific to MS10-015 or if it is an interoperability problem with another component or third-party software. Our teams are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. We also stopped offering this update through Windows Update as soon as we discovered the restart issues. However, those using enterprise deployment systems such as SMS or WSUS will still see and be able to deploy these packages.

While we work to address this issue, customers who choose not to install the update can implement the workaround outlined in the bulletin. CVE-2010-0232 was publicly disclosed and we previously issued Security Advisory 979682 in response. Customers can disable the NTVDM subsystem as a workaround and we have provided an automated method of doing that with a Microsoft Fix It that you can find here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682.

Customers who are experiencing issues after installing any of our security updates can get help resolving the issues by either going to https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com or by calling 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). International customers can find local support contact numbers here: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

Restart issues after installing MS10-015

You can "remove" this update using the procedure given here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

After you remove the updates your computer should boot into Windows again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

Thanks I started to uninstall the updates, there are a bunch of them. I'll let you know what happens. :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

You only need to remove this one: KB977165
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

You only need to remove this one: KB977165

As of last night I had uninstalled 2 files; KB978262 & KB978706. Reading this, this morning I can't find KB977165. What now? Should I uninstall all the updates that were part of that date? Can I see her files with Ubantu? If I can get her files I can back them up & blow the drive out & start over. Thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

It wouldn't hurt to remove all the updates from that date and see if it works.

This reboot problem can also be caused by Malware, in which case reinstalling Windows would be a good option I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users