Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Computer with a Past

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Porkchopicus

Porkchopicus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi all,

I recently inherited a Dell Dimension DM051 that runs incredibly slow, especially when navigating through windows.

Help?

Edited by Porkchopicus, 14 February 2010 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

The best thing that any "new owner" can do when taking possession of a computer with a past...wipe everything, do a clean install of whatever O/S you intend to use.

Otherwise...you may never even find out if the system boots properly, hardware functions properly, etc....and you will waste a lot of time guessing at what might be wrong with it.

To no valid purpose.

Louis

FWIW: Posting that HJT log will ensure that this thread be moved to the appropriate BC malware forum. I hate to think that this is being done because you think that submittal of an HJT log...is a standard thing to do in the XP forum. It's not.

If you want this thread to receive suggestions/advice, etc. from the folks in this forum...I suggest you edit your post and remove the HJT log.

If you really have reason to believe that you have malware on your system...leave the post as it currently is and you will be advised once this thread has been moved.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#3 Porkchopicus

Porkchopicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Okay, thanks for the info.

If I install a new OS, that will not remove files that I have already transferred onto the computer, will it?

Also, if I up-graded to, say, windows 7, will it install new drivers for things like the monitor, etc., or will I have to update them myself?

(I did not receive the installations CDs to anything. Also, I am a techno-neophyte, a bonehead, a dullard... *whispers shamefully* a noob.)

Thanks.

Edited by Porkchopicus, 14 February 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

go to dell support site. enter your service tag number.

See which OS shipped with the computer.

Order the dell os media for your computer. Should be 11.00 and shipping. a few are more (MCE 2005)

Back up yer stuff first but if you can't, the disk is a real xp disk and should let you do a repair install at the prompt after the f8 eula screen

If you don't understand what or how to back up your stuff, ask and we can help.

Dell doesn't care what travels and adventures your dell pc had before you got it unless it was reported stolen at some point.

I have several of them for various models. They are not real picky about what model as long as the bios is identified as Dell.

It is automatically activated. Dell is currently shipping xp Pro SP3 if your dimension had sp pro on it.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 14 February 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Porkchopicus

Porkchopicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

Thanks guys.

I have a new OS cd on it's way from Dell.

my newbie odyssey continues...

On towards victory! (until I come crying for help again)

Thanks... for now...

#6 PCsolutions

PCsolutions

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

With any hand-me-down computer, it's always a great thing to ensure the hardware is all OK before considering any software upgrades or purchases. A computer can run slow for a lot of reasons. It's best to eliminate the possibility of a failing hard drive.

As for Windows 7, I would be extremely hesitant adding that depending on the current specs of the PC. Assuming all hardware passes, you will definitely want to add RAM if/when installing Windows 7.

Good luck!

#7 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

I would have to agree with PC Solutions on this. Although you did not list the specs of the computer you make it sound as if it is very old which is an indicator it will not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 7. However, Microsoft has a Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor you can run to determine this issue (link below). Additionally, unless you have personally tried Windows 7 and found it appealing, I would recommend you wait for a while as Microsoft appears to still be working out the bugs. Good luck in whatever decision you make!! :thumbsup:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

The dell model cited has a few variations in mainboard, bio and chips accepted. Some of them could be suitable for win7.

The original xp issued wth the pc is a safe bet for function and speed but the dm051 is an the edge of adequate for win7. Let the win7 upgrade advisor be your guide and don't force it if a ram and video upgrade can't push you over the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users