Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd OS problem with older Compaq desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krh1326

krh1326

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a real odd one for you all.

I am setting up a 2005 era Compaq SR1610NX desktop for my kids to use. I inherited this system, so I don't have a detailed history with it.

I powered it up as was, and found that it had XP Home on it. It also had the typical, for compaq, C: partition and D: for system restore, all on one 80 gig hard drive. This system was heavily used online, and appeared to be quite buggy, so I decided to wipe the drive, and just get the kids stuff on it.

I put in my copy of XP pro and rebooted from cd. I deleted partition c: and for some reason partition h: . I created one partition, C: , full formatted, and normally installed xp pro.

Now when the system starts up, it goes like a dual boot system. ( I do have experience with a xp/98 dual boot system.) It wants to know if it should start xp pro or xp home. To the best of my knowledge, I wiped out any trace of xp home. On a whim, I tried to start xp home, and got files not found errors, but it still insists on starting up like a dual boot anyway.

I want to eliminate this, as I said it is for kids and I don't want them dealing with this.

Could there be something in the bios that tells the os to dual boot, or did I miss something with the partitions, or is there some thing proprietary with HP/compaq?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

You might want to take a look at what is in your boot.ini file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit. This will open boot.ini file in Notepad.
Copy all content, and post it in your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Thanks guys, the boot.ini thing did the trick. I hit check all boot paths and deleted the invalid one. Starts up just fine now.

What caused this? Never had it happen before. HP/Compaq thing? Something in bios? Ghost In The Machine?

PS. I found it easier to start, run, msconfig, boot ini tab. Check all paths.

Edited by krh1326, 14 February 2010 - 10:21 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

Installs that have not been completed...or repair install attempts...might leave an apparent "dual-boot" evident. Or a previous dual-boot situation might also leave the same tracks.

<<I inherited this system, so I don't have a detailed history with it.>>

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users