Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable and powerful Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new laptop and saw that intel has just come out with low voltage versions of the i5 and i7. I use my computer for work (including photo editing and extensive multitasking) and gaming. I would get a desktop but I need the portability. If possible I would like this build (see below). If anyone has any suggestions as to where I could get this or if there is something cheaper/equivalent/better or less power/cheaper but still suitable to my needs please let me know. Thanks for your input.

My ideal computer:

CPU: Intel i7 620um (new low voltage processor)
o Flexible to i5 520um for price reasons
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 335m or equivalent/better + Intel Integrated Graphics
o User switchable
Ram: 8gb DDR3 (preferable at least 1033mhz)
Ideal Screen Size: 13
o I am flexible: 12-15
Hard Drive: 320gb or more at 7200RPM
Battery: 12-cell preferable (want at least 6hrs battery life w/ integrated graphics)
o 9-cell acceptable
o 6-cell acceptable only if 6+ hours battery life w/ integrated and 3 hours w/ nvidia dedicated graphics
Disk Drive: preferred to have, but flexible w/ this option

Again, thanks for the input. I haven't been able to find this anywhere. Does anyone have an idea on a price tag?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hmmmm....I don't keep up with the latest models produced, but if you haven't found what you're looking for, you might just try building it yourself. There are countless tutorials on the internet for building a homemade PC. You'd be able to get exactly what you are wanting, at the price you want (as you can pick each individual piece of hardware).

Heck, have you looked at a Mac?

I mean, there are plenty of nice PC's out there, but a Mac would be the first thing I would recommend, if you've got the money.

And I don't think you need more than a 6-cell battery unless you've got a pack mule to carry it around for 10 hours. :blink: (9-cell and up is unnecessary weight unless you plan to be away from an outlet for a long time with heavy usage).

What exactly would you be using this laptop for? I can only assume that you plan to do gaming since you care about the graphics card. What else?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 jrgolfer21

jrgolfer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey,

Although I am partial to PC, I did research both impartially and found that PC has far greater availability for a much better price. The graphics cards in the mac really aren't up to par and it costs 600 to upgrade the ram while only around 250 to do it on a pc, and that's on top of a higher base price. same ram too... ddr3 (1033mhz). Besides the price, I've tried both OS X and windows 7 and I'm still much in favor of windows OS over the mac os.

As for what this computer will be used for...
1. I would like a decent graphics card to be able to play modern games such as Bioshock 2, Cod2, etc. (i found the 335m to be a good benchmark for this)
2. Whenever I work I always multitask so I would like a good deal of ram... I have all office docs. open, my photo editing, and research on the web at the same time
3. I am a student and would like to be able to take it around all day to class/library w/out having to plug it in / find the seat/area in library next to the outlet.

That's why I was looking at the new low voltage processors that still offer dual core and hyperthreading + a video card option to switch b/t integrated and dedicated. I was considering the SU7300 by intel but wasn't sure if the 1.3 ghz is enough to handle this. I saw it on the alienware m11x. I'm not that familiar w/ benchmarks for CPU speed.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your input.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

Well, I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest graphics cards. So you're on your own in that department. Most of the new higher end laptops come with decent ones anyway. It's only if you need the really sick ones that you have to look closely (look at the specs just the same, but my point is you shouldn't have trouble getting one with a good graphics card).

I doubt you'll need 8GB of RAM just for office tasks like that. I've tried to max out my 3GB of RAM in my Dell with a crapload of programs open (about 30), but it barely creeped over 1.5 (normal usage for me is 1GB). Gaming might need some RAM room to breathe, but you should still get by with 4GB. The processor and graphics card will be more of a hindrance than the RAM anyway. You can still upgrade the RAM if you want, but it will likely be overkill. I'm not a gamer, so I can not say for sure. You'll have to make that call yourself.

Well, with last year's technology in my Dell (6-cell battery), I can achieve all day computing with the right power settings and smart usage. With a good reputable brand and up to date battery technology, there is no reason why you couldn't get a day's worth of computing done on a single charge with a 6-cell. But let me warn you, carrying a big heavy laptop around campus all day will get dull quick. That's why I bought my netbook. Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know how things are. Carrying a couple classes worth of books plus a laptop all day can really put a strain on your back. I thought my hiking gear was heavy until I started college....

I wouldn't buy a new PC these days with anything less than a 2.0GHz processor (unless the budget dictated otherwise). The new i7 and stuff can get some pretty high speeds, but you have to remember that the larger and faster the processor is, the more battery juice it will use. You might have to compromise in the middle ground of battery size and processor power. A Core2Duo or Pentium would serve you well. :blink:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users