Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for good ( Ubuntu ) installation videos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

I've got a friend who is interested in trying Linux. I would like to provide him with video(s) of the install process once he decides on a distro from trying live cd's. Most likely Ubuntu or Mint ( probably the same install procedure ), and I thought a step by step procedure video would be the best way to go.

The problem is I've viewed so many videos and can't find one that would be clear to a newbie. So many skip over steps and actually the last one I watched - the guy's chair was squeeking so badly that I couldn't hear half of what he said. So... do you know of any really good installation videos for installing Ubuntu alonside Windows XP?

Thanks, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:28 AM

There are hundreds on you tube Under:-
"How to install ubuntu in windows XP"
Have a look through and find the one you like then email the link to your friend

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

I actually prefer written instructions and screen shots. Below is a link to a very good set of instructions.
The fun comes in after install. Tweaking Ubuntu and getting the programs to suit the user.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-...TS-141550.shtml
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Thank you very much.

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi,
Good guide with screen shots in addition to buddy215's suggestion

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Very nice....... the combination of written instructions and screenshots are great learning tools for folks new to Linux. Your posts will be very valuable information when I'm trying to introduce Linux to any interested people.

Thanks again!!

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

I pretty much learned how without any manuals or instructions except for the ones presented to me on screen. I have since installed a multitude of Linux Distros as well as Unix flavors.

The GUI in Ubuntu is pretty easy to follow and understand.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yep, I've been trying a bunch of distros for the past five years or so...... and it has come a long way. The "need" to use the command line has really given way to "easy to understand" GUI functions. I've noticed on other boards I visit, that if you try to "suggest" trying Linux, so....... many folks accuse you of trying to "shove it down their throats". I try to be as non-pushy as possible, but they don't get me upset, I'm always ready to bend over backwards to help when someone wants to try Linux.

Thanks for all your input on this thread gang :thumbsup:

#9 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

This is probably too late for your friend, Keith, but these two were perfect for me, and I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to computers.

Dual Boot Windows 7 / Vista and Linux Part 1

Dual Boot Windows 7 / Vista and Linux Part 2
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Never too late to have more good information at hand.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users