Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 32 + nVIDIA 7950 = BSOD?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coaxke

coaxke

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

over two installs now, Windows 7 RC and Windows 7 ult i have been having issues with my graphics card. it worked fine on windows xp for quite some time. my computer is a Velocity Micro and is about 4 years old. now, the issue.
when i boot up fresh for the day my BIOS will look all messed up. random dots and misplaced lines all over the screen, then it will move on to that screen with the blinky light where it tries to boot from the CD drive. there are random lines everywhere!. then it tries to boot 7 and there are blue dots all over the screen, then finally it will BSOD. it tells me my graphics drivers crashed and failed to recover. if i reboot same story. but if i go into safe mode and uninstall the driver then try and reinstall it it wont let me, no matter what i do it will tell me it cant find the driver. so i then have to reboot AGAIN, into normal mode and install the driver, then reboot. it will be fine until i turn it off again most of the time. unless that is, if i do something graphics intensive. i bought Bioshock 2 assuming my computer would be able to deal with it, and i cant even start playing the game before it lags out, screen goes black and it BSODs telling me my graphics drivers crashed and failed to recover. back to square one... now sometimes the screen will go black, but it will recover in like 20 seconds and on my system tray a balloon will inform my my drivers crashed and recovered. but that never lasts long..
this does not happen on older games, ut2k4 plays fine, so does Starcraft (<3). but if i am watching a video, or playing a graphics intensive game i can only play for 30 sec to 10m. ive tried new drivers, old drivers, the drivers 7 wants. no avail
please aid me before i throw my computer out the window.
note: i dont multimon

Edited by coaxke, 14 February 2010 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Sounds like a failing graphics card to me....that would be the first thing to check (put another one in it).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 coaxke

coaxke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

oh noes! well i dont have another laying around. what would have caused this? =(

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

Well, I've seen a lot of problems in this forum with NVIDIA graphics cards lately. I personally have never used one, and probably never will based on my observations. I don't have much faith in NVIDIA's hardware based on what I've heard.

You'll just have to buy another one (preferably a different brand). NewEgg is a good place to look. I've never shopped for a graphics card, so I won't be much help on which one to buy. :huh:

#5 coaxke

coaxke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

ive had a failing graphics card just stop working.. if it is my graphics card failing why is it doing it like this? why can i play some games and not others? why! =(

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Well, it hasn't failed completely yet. That's why you get the lines on the screen, and the BSOD's. It's trying to work, but because the physical hardware is failing, it can't take much more.

Just buy a new one. It's the easiest thing to do (there aren't really any other options anyway).

#7 coaxke

coaxke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

fixed it. so my computer thought i was multimoning for some god awful reason. my mon was plugged into port 2 and it was trying to use port 1 2 and Svideo. i fixed the settings and swapped the port and it works like a charm. woo
now i just have to figure out how to keep it cool. 86c seems slightly too hot >_>

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Ahh...good to know things are working properly now. :huh:

Does it have a dedicated fan on the graphics card? If not, you might consider adding one. It will probably lengthen the life if you keep it cooler.

#9 coaxke

coaxke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

the card has a fan, the fan gets power from my psu. idk.. the whole thing is too hot atm. i really want to overclock it as well. dual core 2.13 makes me sad =(

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

Sorry to hear that.

Good luck anyways. :huh:

#11 coaxke

coaxke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

got a new computer. woot! same graphics card but the rest is a pretty big upgrade.
no more old computer problems <3

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Awesome! :huh: