Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network key?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hutcheon

hutcheon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

hello
I have managed to install a dwl-520+ wireless card to an old aptiva e-series 550
i can see available networks in the area including my own and when i go to connect to it it asks me for a network key
im not sure how to locate it

any help
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

The network key is the WEP key or WPA Passphrase you entered when you set up your wireless router or access point. If you have no idea what it is then try logging in to the device from the wired side (many wireless devices will not allow management access from the wireless side by default) and look under the wireless setup and security subheading. With luck you will see it there. If it's obscured you may be able to enter a new one. I generally make a label containing the passphrase for my clients and stick it on the bottom of the router. If you have physical access to the router you can always push the little button in the back to reset it to factory defaults, so a secret password isn't much help at that point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users