Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes right after startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnySack

JohnnySack

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

I can boot in safe mode with no problems, but with a regular boot my PC freezes immediately after all the icons are displayed. Here's my computer info.
Compaq Presario
AMD 64 Athlon processor
Windows XP Home Service pack 3

I believe it's related to a Windows update I did on 02/10/2010. I've tried doing a system restore to the last checkpoint before the update. I've uninstalled device drivers with an error, and reinstalled one of them. I've deleted all of the update files, and turned off automatic updates. I've also renamed the intelppm.sys driver, and it is still freezing every time. It still shows service pack 3 in safe mode. I have no clue what to do now. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: This is showing up in the event manager. I don't know if this will help.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ALCXWDex
AmdK8
ElbyCDIO
Fips
ftsata2
mfehidk

Edited by JohnnySack, 14 February 2010 - 03:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Did you try uninstalling the update from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

I did. I basically just deleted anything that was added on 02/10/2010 as a windows update.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Maybe try a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

I have recovery discs I made when I bought the PC. I selected it to run first on the boot menu, but the only options it gives me are to go to the Recovery Console, Reformat the disc, or Quit. Any idea what I should be doing?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Those recovery/restore disks won't perform a repair install...unless Compaq lists that as a capability regarding use of such discs.

You will have to look at the documentation governing the capabilities/use of your CDs issued you by Compaq with your system...or borrow/obtain a MS Genuine XP CD (with same SP-level as system currently has) in order to attempt a repair install.

Louis

#7 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Is it legit for me to download an XP CD from somewhere? I have the product key on the side of my PC. The big box stores never provide one since it's already preloaded on the HD.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

<<Is it legit for me to download an XP CD from somewhere?>>

No, those are not licensed, legal copies of the MS XP install CD.

In addition to being unlicensed/illegal...I suspect that many of these apparent illegal downloads...result in malware being installed on systems and/or compromise of system integrity. I don't know this for sure...but I can't think of an easier way to accomplish such than by offering a commodity which offers no possibility of complaint...to an uninformed, unknowing group of users.

Considering the evidence today of all the fake AV programs which are definitely malware...my perspective makes sense to me. If a fake AV program can undo a system belonging to the unsuspecting...why not a modified "XP install" program, where the user has no idea whether it is what it claims to be?

Louis

#9 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

Well, I found someone with an XP disc, and I attempted a repair instal. It caused the PC to keep rebooting, and now I can't start Windows in safe mode or otherwise. Am I just stuck reinstalling windows at this point?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

<<Well, I found someone with an XP disc, and I attempted a repair instal. It caused the PC to keep rebooting...>>

You read and followed the instructions provided for doing a repair install?

Was this "XP disc" one issued by Microsoft or one issued by a boxmaker (Dell, HP, etc.)?

What SP was included on the CD?

No error message?

Can you boot from the CD now?

Louis

#11 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

It was XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. I can get the CD to boot, and I tried doing the repair install one more time, but it goes to a blue screen and says setup is being restarted, and once again it just loops. I tried booting into safe mode, but it says windows setup can't continue in safe mode, and it's restarting.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

What's the first line (actually, just the first five groups of numbers) of the BSOD?

You may want to try running the chkdsk /r command on the hard drive, from the Recovery Console. If that fails, I would suspect the hard drive or file system.

Louis

#13 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

It's not actually the BSOD, it just has a Windows logo on a blue backdrop that says setup is being restarted. I'm running the CHKDSK right not, and we'll see how that goes.

#14 Hidanagi

Hidanagi

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

that could possibly a sata driver and some incompatibility issues with the drivers. since hp compaq presario are intended for win vista.
you should include the model of your hp compaq presario. or maybe some faulty startup items causes the hangups.

do u follow some guides how to install and integrate winxp drivers to a hp compaq presario laptop?

Edited by Hidanagi, 15 February 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#15 JohnnySack

JohnnySack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Well, I ran CHKDSK, and it corrected some problems supposedly. I tried to reboot with no luck, and tried the repair install with the same results. Is there a way to cancel the repair install? It seems to just cause my desktop to be stuck in a boot loop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users